Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Pull ECU Codes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012
LOCO!! And The Papers To Prove It

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atkinson40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Pull ECU Codes?

Originally Posted by ezone
Can you screw the other gauge into the hole?
I wish. The other gauge is a monster compared to the original.

I pulled the senser and hooked up alligator clips and wires to it in a pot of water on the stove. Stuck a thermometer in the water and began to bring the water up in temperature as I monitored the resistance. Here's my readings.

F R
77 589
107 313
122 246
135 192
158 113
178 86
192 69
201 60

Tells me one thing. The head is at 201 degrees when I've measured the sensor resistance to be 60 ohms. Its not overheating. This is the same temperature I'm reading for the coolant in the radiator neck.

These numbers are off compared to what you gave me. Substituting in the 60 ohm fixed resistor and having all the rest of the circuit work fine is pointing to the sensor. Don't want to believe that the new sensor is bad, but maybe. ganna call the dealer and see what a new sensor costs.

At least now I have another indicator besides the gauge I installed telling me the motor is not overheating. -Kevin

Last edited by atkinson40; 10-04-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2012

Figured out a way to see if the sensor is changing resistance with voltage applied.

Ran the car to hot. Sensor/gauge is reading hot. Pulled sensor wire measured resistance of sensor. 60 ohms as in the past. Put wire back on sensor and measure voltage at sensor. V = 4.7VDC. Stuck an amp meter in series with the wire going to sensor and measured current. Current is 188 mA.

Ohms Law V=IR Sensor resistance is V/R = 25 ohms. Now I know why. Sensor is changing resistance with voltage applied, This should not be. Sensor should only change resistance as a function of temperature.

Pulled the sensor, returned for refund from Autozone, installed the old sensor, and now can't get the old sensor/gauge to fail. Oh well, today was half price day at the junkyard. I picked up 2 sensors for $8.(Dealer wanted $50 for one)

Now I've got a couple of spares to eliminate the sensor as the culprit if the circuit begins acting up again.

I hope this saga is over and I'll move on to the power steering leak from the pump area that seems to have developed when I did the timing belt. I had to move the pump out of the way.

Also need to do the oil pan gasket and figure out the knock when on the floorboard when I take of or go over a bump. Thanks ezone, -Kevin
Old 10-05-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

V = 4.7VDC. Stuck an amp meter in series with the wire going to sensor and measured current. Current is 188 mA.

Ohms Law V=IR Sensor resistance is V/R = 25 ohms. Now I know why. Sensor is changing resistance with voltage applied, This should not be. Sensor should only change resistance as a function of temperature.
Love it. Solid answer, solid reason, proven out in the math.
You said you have a degree in electrical engineering, right?

from Autozone
Makes you want to pull your hair out, doesn't it?

Want to cut the old sensor apart to see what was wrong?
Old 10-06-2012

You said you have a degree in electrical engineering, right?
guilty

Want to cut the old sensor apart to see what was wrong?
A little, but I wanted my money back from AZ more.