Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1997 honda civic check engine light

Old 09-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997hondahx is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 1997 honda civic check engine light

car :honda civic hx 1997

problem:check engine light

known problemsossible oil leak somewhere only see oil around the pan so i think its from that /exuast leak from muffler and down pipe.

new partslugs wires cap/rotor..egrvalve fuel filter

the engine missfires so i changed the above parts
still have the same problem i will post the engine codes
monday night ....

i checked to make sure the wires are fireing and they are
if any more info is needed to better help just ask i realy appreciate
any help and thank you for your time

Last edited by 1997hondahx; 09-16-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1997 honda civic check engine light

still have the same problem
Does "same problem" mean it still misfires, or that the idiot light didn't go out?

Get the codes read at your local DangerZone.

Write down the code numbers using the standard OBD2 format of Pxxxx, and write down the freeze frame data that was stored when the light came on. And note what code the freeze data goes with.

Post that data here.

If the only codes are misfire related (P0300-P0304, P1399) and you already FIXED the misfire, then erase the codes and drive it.

It takes some time and drive cycles before the CEL turns off on its own.

Erase the codes anyway. See what comes back first.

If the engine still misfires, proceed with standard troubleshooting for a misfire.
Compression, fuel, spark. At least one of those has gone awry.

HTH
Old 09-17-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 1997hondahx
car :honda civic hx 1997

problem:check engine light

known problemsossible oil leak somewhere only see oil around the pan so i think its from that /exuast leak from muffler and down pipe.

new partslugs wires cap/rotor..egrvalve fuel filter

still have the same problem i will post the engine codes
monday night ....

i checked to make sure the wires are fireing and they are
if any more info is needed to better help just ask i realy appreciate
any help and thank you for your time
p1399/p0304/p0401/p1300/p0303 there were two egr codes just one said pending same code though
Old 09-17-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Got freeze frame data, and which code was it set for?
Old 09-17-2012

Reason is, clogged EGR ports can cause your EGR code (insufficient flow) AND the misfire codes.
I'd like to know exactly when the misfire code(s) set, and freeze frame data is the only way for me to know.

C&P from Honda service info:

Clean EGR Ports to Restore
Proper Flow
On ’95 Accord V6s, and all ’96–97 Hondas (except
Passports), if the EGR port is restricted, do not
replace EGR components if you can restore proper
exhaust gas flow by cleaning out the ports.

(That applies to far more than just the years in the info. The info is really that old.)
Old 09-17-2012
Registered!!

SO i got busy tonight and pulled the fuel rail and all the crap so i could get to the egr pathways or what was left of them i should say it took me at least 15 min to clean it was packed in there real good i just got back from a test drive i took the neg term off the batery just to be safe i dont think that cleared the codes but im sure the egr system is working better now i also cleaned the fuel injectors a lil but there wasnt any carbon on the jets
just the boot or w.e you call it i will go check the codes again if the light comes back on after i pull the 7.5 fuse
Old 09-17-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 1997hondahx
SO i got busy tonight and pulled the fuel rail and all the crap so i could get to the egr pathways or what was left of them i should say it took me at least 15 min to clean it was packed in there real good i just got back from a test drive i took the neg term off the batery just to be safe i dont think that cleared the codes but im sure the egr system is working better now i also cleaned the fuel injectors a lil but there wasnt any carbon on the jets
just the boot or w.e you call it i will go check the codes again if the light comes back on after i pull the 7.5 fuse
the freeze fram i think came on for the p0303
i will make sure to write down every bit of it when i plug it in should be soon
Old 09-17-2012

Sounds like you are on the right track.
You had P0303 and P0304 in the list, those two ports would have still been clear or at least still partly open into the manifold runners if the misfire code was caused by the EGR. The holes or passages leading to #1 and #2 intake runners would have been clogged up.

When the EGR valve opens there is enough of it for all 4 cylinders.....but now all of the EGR gases go to the open ports and can kill those (or that) cylinder. The ones that are clogged up still fire just fine.

Freeze frame should show conditions as the code set while driving down the road, not set at idle sitting still.