Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CEL on, won't rev past 4k, P2647 code

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hoppy is an unknown quantity at this point
CEL on, won't rev past 4k, P2647 code

First off, new to this forum, and I am on several other forums for various things.

This is in an '05 honda civic Si 2.0, completely stock, my wife's car.

The symptoms are:

1) The CEL is on and the code is P2647 which has to do with the vtec oil pressure solenoid.
2) Engine won't rev past 4k, acts like there's a limiter at 4k.
3) very poor gas mileage
4) A hose was disconnected from what looks like the vtec pressure solenoid and the tube for the air intake that goes between the filter and the intake manifold.
-I reconnected the hose and it revved past 4k a couple times, but when I cut off the engine and restarted, it was back to not revving past 4k.

The story is that I was replacing the upstream o2 sensor, and to see if the maintenance req'd light would go off, I drove it fast & hot to getthe operating temp up quicker, that's when the CEL came on and the dtc was 2647. This all happened on this past sunday.

I searched through these forums prior to this post and the most helpful thread i found was this one https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...re-switch.html
which wasn't any help at all.

This car is a daily driver, and I need it to be fixed asap.
What does this code mean? for the filter screens to be cleaned in the solenoid, or for the whole thing to be replaced, or for the code to be cleared after reconnecting that hose, or...???

My goal is to NOT throw parts and $$$ at it till it's fixed, and to figure out exactly what the issue is and fix it without trying a few things first.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-2012
Registered!!

Re: CEL on, won't rev past 4k, P2647 code

someone has to have had experience with this

any ideas? I'd like some insight before I dig into this problem, and I know there's a lot out there.

First I'm going to check the solenoid, if the filter is dirty then I'll clean it, and see if that fixes anything. If not then I'll probably just replace the solenoid.
Old 07-26-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

This looks like one for ezone.
Old 07-27-2012
Registered!!

the hose that was disconnected from the tube between the intake manifold and the airbox seems to go to some type of vacuum switch dealing with the coolant. It had a temp sensor on it, and I assume that's not part of the vtec solenoid.
Old 07-31-2012
Registered!!

well, no help from anybody on here, but I figured it out. On my civic, the engine is positioned where the intake manifold is up front neat the rad, and the exh manifold is going straight out the back, the vtec spool is in the back left of the engine bay, obviously right on the side of the cyl head.

Also, my cel went off this morning and it drives like normal. I'm going to buy the oil pressure switch anyways, because it's bound to happen again.

Hope this thread is a help to anyone else who might have this problem in the future!
Old 08-31-2012
Registered!!

dloc82295 is an unknown quantity at this point

So I am having a very similar problem with my 93 civic dx, what was the problem in the end? I have replaced the plugs wires ignition coil an the icm, but it won't accelerate past 3500rpms