Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1991 Civic LX - Keeping it Alive!

Old 05-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digipixel is an unknown quantity at this point
1991 Civic LX - Keeping it Alive!

I currently own a 1991 Civic LX with approx 130K miles on it; I bought it new in 1991. A few weeks ago my wife and I looked at purchasing a new car. However, after suffering a near stroke when reading the sticker prices, I decided to try and keep the 91 Civic going for a couple more years.
Given the level of expertise on this forum, I am simply seeking advice on what type of PM (preventative maintenance) I should perform on my Civic to keep it alive for another 30K to 40K miles.

Within the last 3 years I have done the following:
  • Replaced the timing belt and water pump
  • Replaced the alternator
  • Replaced the radiator

Within the last month I have also:
  • Had a tune-up
  • Oil and oil filter change
  • Replaced the thermostat and heater hose
  • Front disc brake job

Also, about a week ago, I asked my mechanic to do a transmission fluid change, but he declined saying I was asking for trouble to change the fluid on a transmission that old.

To summarize: Other than the obvious like keeping the oil and oil filters changed, what other preventative things can I do to keep the LX going a while longer? Also, what's likely to break next?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
Old 05-23-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 1991 Civic LX - Keeping it Alive!

did you go the extra mile during the timing belt and change the head gasket?
if not, well, it actually do not matter anymore, no way you going to to all that work again for a "potential" failure...
Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digipixel is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1991 Civic LX - Keeping it Alive!

Change the head gasket? No. At least I don't think so. I didn't replace the timing belt/water pump myself. A mechanic I trust did the work and I don't remember seeing a head gasket listed on his parts list. I would guess there would be a considerably larger labor charge as well!