Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hesitations and Sputters

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kcburk is an unknown quantity at this point
Hesitations and Sputters

I have a 90 model DX. I just had a water pump and timing belt put on. I also had all the seals replaced and the belts replaced.

Now it will sputter and hesitate occasionally while driving at about 50 mph. I changed the fuel filter thinking that was the cause. But it still happens. It's a rather rough jolt when it happens as though the engine is going dead and then restarts.

My theory is that the plugs and wires need replacing. But I'm not certain.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I came home today and as I was pulling into the drive my civic sputtered and stalled out. I finally was able to get it restarted after a few failed attempts. During the restart it would turn over, but would stay cranked. I tried one last time and gave it a little gas with the pedal and this time it sputtered to life, but was running rough.

I pulled it into my garage and began to change out the plug wires (I realized I didn't have the extension or socket needed to change the plugs). As I removed the old plug wires and looked down into the the spark plug well I noticed what I think is a rather large amount of oil on top of the plugs. Anyone have thoughts on that? Should I be worried?

I've included a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sparkplugwelloil.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	82491  

Last edited by kcburk; 02-03-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: New Sympton
Old 02-04-2012
Registered!!

td1238 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Hesitations and Sputters

That is likely your problem, but not definitely. Common with these cars, though. I most recently replaced my gasket and Permatexed it. I first cleaned all surfaces including gasket with acetone, and then after Permatexing, I let it cure for a day. Now it's leak-free.

The oil has carbon, which conducts electricity. It's most difficult to produce a spark at high speeds and/or under high load, so the spark will choose the path of least resistance.

If this doesn't solve the problem, consider the ignitor or main relay or something of that nature.

If acceleration is smooth, you can probably rule out the TPS. A worn TPS can cause bucking.

I think that my spark plug wires are the original ones. I check the resistance and clean them in soap and water and allow them to dry. If very dirty, I clean the soot and grime off with acetone. If you doubt yours, though, then perhaps buy a new set.

Hopefully your timing belt was put on correctly, though I can't see that affecting only a certain speed.
Old 02-05-2012
Registered!!

Lalo23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea Your Gasket is worn out Same on my end
Old 02-05-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

When the spark plug holes fill with oil, it is usually caused by the rocker stand seals (not the vc gasket and plug tube seals). #16 and #17 in this pic. The 4 rubber seals will be hardened and brittle.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=CYLINDER+HEAD

HTH
Old 02-05-2012
Registered!!

Those seals usually come with the valve cover seal kit. They are not usually available separate.

Clean all surfaces well with acetone and coat with Permatex.
Old 02-05-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by td1238
Those seals usually come with the valve cover seal kit. They are not usually available separate.
Not the seals I pointed out. You buy them separately.
Old 02-08-2012
Registered!!

Oh. I see now what you are talking about. Hopefully a VC seal is all that is needed, and the OP doesn't have to dig in that far.

Every time I have had oil leak into the spark plug wells, however, a valve cover gasket repair was all that was needed. This last re-gasket including Permatex has left my plug wells absolutely dry.

Of course noting where the oil originates from, that is whether it runs all the way up the plug well or not, will determine which gasket is leaking.