Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I need help with removing a fuel filter from a 1991 civic lx

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tp1260 is an unknown quantity at this point
I need help with removing a fuel filter from a 1991 civic lx

I can't get this thing off. I am trying to follow the Haynes, i have decent tools, but this EFFFFFIN thing refuses to budge.
Here i go----
Using the Haynes, page chapter 1 -32, diagram 40.13
Let me start with the drivers side fitting first,
From the top to the filter, the filter is held in place by a 12 mm Service BOLT , followed by a washer. That BOLT is threaded into a 17 mm nut, which is affixed to the SPECIAL BANJO BOLT, and then is threaded into the filter.
OK, now what do i have to put a wrench on to get this thing off?, since the Haynes makes no mention or fails to include the FIXED 17 mm fitting in it's diagram, i assume the Special Banjo Bolt is what a wrench needs to be placed on.
Am i correct to assume this, or does the fixed nut right above it need a wrench on it?.
Does the 12 mm service bolt come into play?. Does that need to be removed, or bolted on tight when i am trying to remove this EFFIN filter!!.

The car has 65,k original , so its probably the original filter.
There should be no reason why i can't get this off, besides the fact i think i may be trying to turn the wrong nut/bolt.
So can someone please help me out here.
IF anyone has ever changed the fuel filter in a 1991 honda civic, with a dual port 1.5, could you please tell me how the hell you did it, and what wrenches are used on what bolt/nut.
The only thing i can possibly get on that Special Banjo Bolt, is an adjustable open faced wrench. Only problem is , apparently it is tighter than the average bolt, and i may need some type of metal pipe for leverage.
So what needs to have a wrench on it?, The Special Banjo Bolt?, the fixed 17 mm?, or the 12 mm service bolt on the top?.
A combination of 2 of them, and if so, what is the 2 and are they both normal counter clockwise threads to remove?.
Some one help, before i light this car up!!!. Thank you!!
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

Re: I need help with removing a fuel filter from a 1991 civic lx

NO one can take a minute and tell me how to get this damm bolt off the easiest way?
Thanx for all your help!!!
Old 10-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Patience. This is a forum, not a telephone.

Hold the bolt with the red arrow while loosening the bolt with the blue arrow. Remember to hold the hose when loosening the bolt with the red arrow and the banjo bolt. Also, notice it says to replace the washers:
Name:  1991fuelfilter-1.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  83.0 KB
Old 10-05-2011
Registered!!

Well, here we go again. That service bolt(blue arrow) comes right off. I don't even have to hold the special banjo bolt(red arrow) to remove that service bolt(blue arrow).
Ok , so when i get the service bolt off, then what?

That diagram shows the special banjo bolt, but it doesn't show the fixed 17 mm nut that is affixed to it.
What needs to be put a wrench on to remove, the fixed 17 mm, or the acutal special banjo bolt itself.?
Old 10-05-2011
Registered!!

Needed an extra body but it's out!!!. 1 person to turn the wrench on the 17 mm affixed nut, and me with the crow bar holding the bracket/filter so it wouldn't budge. That did the trick, since doing it by myself yesterday, i couldn't get good leverage on the nut .
Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

tildeath is an unknown quantity at this point

If you cant get a bolt or nut off. easy solution. Steroids... And RIP that mother off and rage. just kidding. glad you got if fixed.