Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hood cable broken, can't open hood!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolfez is an unknown quantity at this point
Hood cable broken, can't open hood!

Hi all,

93 Civic LX, auto.

Left the car at home for the summer and my parents though they would do me a favor by taking it in to get it inspected. Big mistake since someone pulled on the hood latch too hard and the cable broke. I just found out a few days ago when I tried to check the oil level!

Bad thing is, I am not at home anymore, 500 miles away so can't really go to the shop and demand they fix it.

What do I do? I really need to replace the upper and lower control arms but can't be done without the hood opening. I have look at several threads out there but can't find anything that worked.

Here is what I have tried:

1. use long screw driver to slide in the gap and tried to unlatch it

2. used a plier to try and pull the cable

3. took off driver side wheel and the mud guards but can't find any way to access it.

I did hear you can reach through the slot in the grill? But have no idea what I am doing.

This is not a picture of my car but it's the same model. I did take the license plate off.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Hood cable broken, can't open hood!

jack up the car, remove drivers side front tire, remove splash guard, reach over with a screw driver and press the release. It's the definition of a pain, but can be done with some patience. The good news is a cable should be less than $20 from a dealership, you could have any mechanic handle this for you, they'd likely charge an hours labour.
Old 09-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolfez is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.

I already tried that but had no idea what I was doing down there. (on my post i mistakenly said I removed the mud guards, I actually did remove the splash guards).

Am I pushing with a screw driver or doing a pulling motion? How far is the latch in term of where the honda H emblem is on the hood? Thanks!

p.s. once I get it open, can I drive around with it not latched all the way? I'm not going anywhere long distance, like 2 miles non highway every day. Only for like a week or so.
Old 09-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

^^ You're trying to pry the latch sideways. Sideways in relation to the car, I think towards the driver's side. If you can't get it take it to any mechanic and they can usually do it right then. Usually takes 5 minutes and they won't charge ya very much.

Not very safe to drive that way, period. If you have to drive like that take some precautions like a bungee from the latch down the bumper to the underside of the car. Maybe tie it down with some wire.
Old 09-25-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the hood cable should be tied to the car body under the driver wheel well. just cut the metal inside out of the plastic cover. then tie enough cable around a tool to get a good grip to pull on it.