Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Erratic idle, minimal power, code 41 (O2 sensor) but replaced and same code

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ricerchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Erratic idle, minimal power, code 41 (O2 sensor) but replaced and same code

Ok, here's the skinny-oh and yes I have read all idle posts before posting this. K- its a 93 VX w/ a 1.5. Engine has 384,000mi on it. I just bought it. So car idles funny, stall almost and especially when the engine is warm and also w/ the AC on. Im in north Louisiana so AC is a must. That being said, originally the hose from my radiator to engine was missing a bolt and slightly leaking. I replaced it and the problem subsided for a day. Then back to Sq 1. Ugh, car had CEL light on so I ran it. Typical code 41. No prob, found a new O2 and replaced. Again prob subsided for a day, however even after resetting computer the CEL was still on and car began idling funny again. Its quite annoying at a red light! I flushed the radiator, I am about to change out the fuel filter and all belts as soon as it gets back from the paint shop. From what I have read it could be a vacuum leak or possibly a sensor on the thermostat. I have also been told it may be a faulty MAP sensor. So many choices?! I read the car fax and this car has had emmission issues since the early 90s and obviously the person before me had been checking the codes as well because the ECU pigtail was dangling from the dash. Any other suggestions on this?! Its costing me a fortune playing the guessing game. Tahnks in advance!

Old 09-16-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Erratic idle, minimal power, code 41 (O2 sensor) but replaced and same code

You can start by checking for loose or missing vacuum lines. That's free, so all it costs is a little time. If your O2 sensor is getting fouled, there has gotta be something else causing it to go bad. Are you sure there is only one stored code?you could be looking at a sensor issue. Having a pre OBDII vehicle makes getting codes pulled a little tougher sadly as manufacturers had their own special plugs for diag.
Old 09-21-2011
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Did you use a Honda O2 Sensor? A lot of cars are picky about O2 sensors. I have never replaced one in a Honda but I know Chryslers, Mitsubishi's, and Fords do not like aftermarket O2 sensors.
Old 09-26-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Did you use a Honda O2 Sensor? A lot of cars are picky about O2 sensors. I have never replaced one in a Honda but I know Chryslers, Mitsubishi's, and Fords do not like aftermarket O2 sensors.
It shouldnt be the sensor, its vehicle specific. Ugh. lol. I will be checking vacuum lines though when it comes back and hopefully it is something that simple!
Old 09-26-2011
Registered!!

hondalou82 is an unknown quantity at this point

have you changed your air filter lately that could be the problem try taking it off or out of the air box i have seen this happen before
Old 09-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Check for poor connections at the sensor and the connector on the shock tower. Do you have a D15Z1, D15B7, or D15B8? Look on the front of the engine, between the exhaust manifold and the tranny and you'll see a flat place with the engine number stamped into the block.
Old 09-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Nevermind, you should have a Z1.

1. With the car off, dis-connect the connector
2. Turn the car ON and let it idle
3. Measure voltage from the yellow/black wire (harness side, not connector side) to body ground.

Is there 7 volts?
Old 10-18-2011
Registered!!

ok, vacuum lines all replaced. o2 replaced. TPS replaced. MAP replaced. its a little better but still the same issue?! grrrrrrr