Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stranded on road trip. Need tips on replacing Water Outlet.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
conquesimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Stranded on road trip. Need tips on replacing Water Outlet.

Hi all,

I have a 1995 Honda Civic LX 1.5 16-valve non-vtec manual transmission.

My upper radiator hose starting spurting coolant earlier today, so I taped it up and drove to town to get a replacement. I installed the new hose, filled the radiator and reservoir, then bled the system through the bleeder value. When I started the car, I noticed a small leak at the bleeder valve, so I went to tighten it. Well, apparently I tightened the bleeder valve too much and the housing it screws into cracked and broke off.

This housing that the bleeder value screws into is called the "Water Outlet." The local parts store will have a new one for me in the morning. However, my Haynes manual doesn't tell me anything about replacing it and I can't find much help online either.

So my question is, does anyone know if this is a tricky job or is it straight-forward? From what it appears, it's just a couple of bolts that hold the Water Outlet onto the engine block. Is it as simple as unbolting them, throwing the new water outlet into place, then bolting it back down?

Please help. I'm on a road trip and am stranded in Grand Island, Nebraska overnight and I have to be in Oregon for 2 job interviews on Friday. It's going to be very close.

-ConQuesimo