Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 si d16 clutch/tranny issues

Old 04-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mtaylor_ is an unknown quantity at this point
94 si d16 clutch/tranny issues

hey guys i have a 94 si hatch, car was running fine last night when i went to drive it today the clutch seemed off. when pushing down it had no resistance til mid pedal then engaged fully, shifting into 1 and R when cold was hard and took a bit of coaxing into. when pedal is in it catches at the same point and almost feels like dropping clutch. possible master cylinder issue?
new to hondas thanks for the help in advance
ps no noises or anything like that
Old 04-25-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 94 si d16 clutch/tranny issues

Start with a visual inspection. Is the reservoir leaking? What about the condition of the fluid? Clutch fluid is brake fluid and should be treated the same. If its dirty, change it. I don't even know if Honda specifies an interval for it TBH. The process is a bit tedious, but it's the best lace to start if the fluid hasn't been changed.
1. Acquire some fluid. DOT 3. I think my cap for the reservoir says DOT 4 can be used as well. Check your cap to be double sure!
2. Acquire a 10MM box wrench. Pretty sure that's the size.
3. Locate the clutch bleeder screw. Should be sticking out towards the radiator, coming from the transmission. If you're lucky, the little black cap will make it stand out.
4. The process for bleeding the clutch is the same as brakes. Get a bottle with some fluid and insert a piece of clear tubing. I think about 5/8" diameter should work. I don't know where my tubing is, but they sell it at hardware stores. Put the other end over the end of the bleeder screw. Take it easy on this. Gently crack the screw open. Rotating the screw counter and ccw a few times will help loosen it up a bit more if there might be some rust in there.
5. Once its cracked open, get in the car and push the pedal down. It'll drop and stay there. Get out, close the screw, and lift the pedal up by hand. Repeat until all the old fluid is gone and clean fludi runs through the tubing. This job is best done with 2 people, as it taks the hassle out of running back and forth.
MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LET THE RESERVOIR RUN DRY. My buddy forgot to tell me this and I got air in the system. An additional 20 minutes
Start here and check the pedal operation.
As for the car being tough getting into gears, when was the last time you changed the fluid? Getting rid of the old fluids in a car can do wonders.
Old 04-25-2011
Registered!!

Mtaylor_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 94 si d16 clutch/tranny issues

iv only owned the car 2 weeks so who knows when ther last time the fluids got changed was, thanks for the help il give it a shot today