Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

D16A6ZC SOHC dizzy

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob Taelem is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation D16A6ZC SOHC dizzy

I am new to working on cars. I have some friends that help me when I can't figure things out myself. I have to figure out some things that not even my friends nor I can figure out. Thus I come to you for guidance, wisdom, knowledge, and help.

SO! I need to fix my car ASAP, its the only one I have . I have a 1995 civic DX with a 1988 civic si D16A6ZC SOHC 1.6L engine in it (everything is stock except the engine). I am having some electrical issues regarding my engine and I have figured out what the problem likely is. I just need to find the cheapest distributor that will work with my engine and my chassis to help troubleshoot my issue. I need this fixed ASAP!

You are my only hope Honda forum people of awesome intelligence
Old 02-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D16A6ZC SOHC dizzy

Hmm, a distributor is an expensive *** piece to use for diagnostic issues. What are your electrical issues?
Old 02-24-2011
Registered!!

I am using the stock dizzy right now and have had no issues with it (dizzy for a d16b7). I traced my electrical issue back to my dizzy not turning fast enough to start my engine. Or it might be something related to something else. I am just figuring out some stuff for my mechanic friend who is working on my car. If I need more technical help I will tell you.. ah nvm i will just tell you.

I lost power going up a slight hill. I had 8+ gallons of gas in my tank so gas isnt the issue. My car won't start. I can hear the engine cranking and turning over. I have the battery and oil light come on when i turn the ignition. I took off the cap of the dizzy and looked at the distributor rotar. It takes 6 seconds of cranking the engine to turn the rotar one full rotation. I am not sure what is causing the issue. I am going to take off my timing belt cover to see if its still on. Any suggestions would be great. If you want videos or pics let me know.

PS: I have had a clicking noise coming from my head gasket for about 4 months. Which from various sources I am pretty sure is just loose valves in my engine head.. or whatever you call the place where your Cam is...
Old 02-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If your distributor isnt where its supposed to be your car is out of time. The distributor is not supposed to move at all once the car is timed properly(From your post I gather you moved it). There is also a possibility you lost your timing belt. Your car would still crank because the bottom end spins but the head (valves etc.) would not move with it. In other words check your timing belt A.S.A.P.
Old 02-27-2011
Registered!!

I figured out the issue. With the help of a friend. Ignition Coil. Replaced it and my car worked. I also replaced the dizzy cap and rotor while i was at it since they were both really worn out. Now I just have to figure out how to time my engine properly. Engine is shaking vibrating a little more than usual and has an odd sound to it. Timing belt is still on dead center and good.

Any sources on how to time my engine myself in the regards of how much my distributor should be rotated?
Old 02-28-2011
Whachya lookin at?

If you messed up the Dizzy timing take it to a shop and get it timed with a gun... If the timing is WAY out tow it there or you can destroy the engine.