Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

temp gauge not working, not sure about fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bookem is an unknown quantity at this point
temp gauge not working, not sure about fan

Hi all,
My son just bought a 1990 civic hatch as a first car.
It had the motor replaced some time ago (used)
I searched the engine number D15B2 and it seems to be the right engine for that time piriod.
But the temp gauge is not working, so we have no idea what temp the engine is running at.
Also I am not sure if the fan is working, we unpluged it and ran power from battery and fan did not come on. Didn't ground though.
Any Help would be Greatly appreciated Thanks dan
Old 06-14-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: temp gauge not working, not sure about fan

Depends what do you mean ground - if you placed both battery poles against the right connectors, it should have come on.
Do you hear anything or feel loss of power? DID YOU DRIVE IT without knowing how the temperature is?
Old 06-14-2010
Remebers the old days
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

You have to add power and ground to the fan. The fan is controlled by a grounding relay. check the fan by hooking up power and ground to it. If it does not work. replace with a hayden slimline fan from any autoparts store (youll thank me...they are great and an easy instal). If it works then move to replacing the temperature sensor. if still no fan then you have to change the fan switch sensor aswell.

Last edited by CrewChief; 06-14-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CrewChief
The fan is controlled by a grounding relay.
woops... true