Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Why does my civic stall intermittantly??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pkfrdh is an unknown quantity at this point
Why does my civic stall intermittantly??

My 1990 base 4 spd hatchback has about 87,000 miles on it and I don't drive it but once a week or so. It wants to stall on me when I first start driving it though it doesn't seem to matter if it is a warm or cold engine. It never totally dies it just cuts out like it is not getting any fuel. I need to smog the car and am worried it may be the O2 sensor. Does this sound like any obvious problem anyone else has encountered?
Old 07-27-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: Why does my 1990 stall intermittantly?

Well if you dont drive the car, then its bound to develop problems. The fluids sit too long and start to go bad- oil and gas specifically. Drive it more often and the stalling might end up going away. But it could be O2 sensor, spark plugs, or dirty throttle body. Do you have an illuminated check engine light? If so, you need to get that code scanned and report back with it.
Old 09-20-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Why does my civic stall intermittantly??

hmmm i would say maybe you have a dirty throttle body. you can buy a can of spray at autozone and do it yourself for about 5 bucks