Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My "new" Civic LX towed mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rpickle is on a distinguished road
My "new" Civic LX towed mileage?

Hi. I'm the proud new owner of a 1989 Civic LX. It is nearly rust-free and in great condition. It is a 5 sp. w/all the goodies. The previous owner pulled it behind their camper. Will the miles that it pulled behind the camper rack up on the odometer? I've had people tell me that the odometer doesn't work unless you are in gear. I think otherwise. Other than that, I do not have concrete proof that the timing belt was done recently, so am weighing my options there. Will most likely attempt it myself, although it doesn't look like there is much room on that side of the motor!

Anyway.

Thanks

Rick
Old 11-15-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My "new" Civic LX towed mileage?

i am pretty sure it will put miles on, since the wheels are turning. on your car that is... on a newer digital odometer that does not turn on unless the car is on, i dont think you will have the same problem.
Old 11-15-2007
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gearbox
i am pretty sure it will put miles on, since the wheels are turning. on your car that is... on a newer digital odometer that does not turn on unless the car is on, i dont think you will have the same problem.
well, wouldn't there still need to be an electrical signal going up from the wheels? i don't think that there were little gears running all the way up to the odo. so wouldn't the car need to be turned on so that the gauge cluster would be receiving power...thus the odo needing the car being turned on in order to work? just my thought...

how many miles are on the car, rpickle?
Old 11-15-2007
Registered!!

Hi. Thanks for the replies. The car has about 160k miles. I figure it has a cable from the tranny to the speedo. Just don't know if the cable gear is engaged when the car is not in gear. I'll turn the key off on my way home (just prior to the driveway) and see if I still get odometer turnage!

On another note, is $420 a good price for the following:

oil change
antifreeze flush/change
new water pump
new idler/tensioner pullies
new timing belt

Thanks

Rick
Old 11-15-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Even with the car off and in neutral I think the speedo will work.
But do check it and make sure.

Now about the $420.00 Kind of a funny number.

You could save close to 200 or so if you did it yourself.
Old 11-15-2007
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alpha 5
Even with the car off and in neutral I think the speedo will work.
But do check it and make sure.
I don't think the speedo will work with the car off. Im assuming they towed the car with it in neutral and no key in the ignition. That means no power to the guage cluster. My guess is the odometer will turn over only with the key in the on position.

I'm just guessing though.

Rpickle: Do that stuff yourself man!!!!
Old 11-15-2007
Registered!!

Thanks again. I don't think the odometer needs power to turn. Leaving work soon, so will find out!

OK. I can do the work. Do you guys have a good source for the needed parts? Is there a kit that I can buy that has the idler and the tensioner pullies?

Sorry about the questions. Appreciate your replies!

Thanks

Rick
Old 11-15-2007
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... You might or might not need to replace the idler and tensioner pullies. If they are plastic (I hope Honda wouldn't do that on an 89 civic) change them up but if not check to make sure they look good and just change the belt. I got my stuff from the dealership. The belt was less than ten bucks and the pump was like 90 or something. Didn't need pullies. Hit up Autozone for oil, filter and antifreeze.

Good luck! Have some rep future DIYer.

Last edited by lordhelmet; 11-15-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2007
Registered!!

Verified, odometer still operates with the key off. I put the key in the "I" position, which is the first spot from off.

Anyway, I've parked the car until I can get the parts around and change the belt.

I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks

Rick
Old 11-16-2007
Registered!!

toke101 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a 88 accord lxi....i miss that pos it was my baby...it started stalling on me tho..pulling outa parking spots..poping u turns...and even coming to a complete stop for red lights....then outa no where it started leaking gas...took it to a shop they told me it wasnt worth fixing it cuz it had so many problems =[ poor whip

Last edited by toke101; 11-16-2007 at 02:47 AM. Reason: im stoned =\
Old 11-16-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

There are an awful lot of "I think's" in this thread.

Find out for youself. Drive up a hill, turn the car off- take the key out the ignition, only turn it on so the cluster lights up- pick your cocktail. See by the time you make it down the hill if the ODO has changed at all- simple as that.

Heads up: Just remember that your steering wheel might lock up, so keep it straight, and your breaks wont be as strong either, so plan.

Anyways, welcome to the forum man. Post some pictures in the members ride section when you get a chance so we can see how your new ride is looking.
Old 11-16-2007
Registered!!

Thanks Triz. Plan on posting some pics. It is really in nice shape.

Rick