Horn mod for aftermarket wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CMDR Karos is an unknown quantity at this point
Horn mod for aftermarket wheel

Today I installed the NRG Innovations SRK-130H Hub Adapter in my 1999 Honda Civic EX sedan. After searching the interwebs on a way to make my horn work because it didn't work out of the box.

First I believe there are enough how-to on installing a hub and its pretty straight forward so I won't be including how I did mine but sense I did have to do some digging on a good way to get the horn to work I thought I should share how I did mine.

I bought a Honda Shoe Horn (part # 35259-SH3-A02) off of ebay for this.

Shoe horn Part # 35259-SH3-A02

Shoe Horn Part # 35259-SH3-A02

I used a female connector to attach the hot wire to the shoe. I simply bent the copper over itself and squeezed it with some pliers to make the end flat. If you have a hard time getting the end into the connect give it a tap with a hammer to get it to lay flat, but dont go crazy with it because its only copper and its soft and with mushroom out.

99 civic ex P2P ECU had blue "hot" wire for horn. Ground this wire to activate the horn.

On my car the "horn wire was blue but it may be different for you. The easiest way to figure out which wire it is, is to put a paper clip in the connector and touch it to something metal on the dash (with the ignition off) and the horn will chirp when you have the right wire. Just try each wire separately. The horn wire is always hot and just needs to be grounded to sound the horn.

Female connector soldered on.

A closer look as to how I bent the metal over itself to fit snugly in the female connector. Just snip off the excess material.

A look at how I folded the copper.

I used the screw that held in the SRS component onto the steering wheel to "widen" the hole.

This was the excess that I cut off with a pair of wire cutters.

Piece I cut off that wasn't needed.

Here is the mounting location I used. If you keep the shoe vertical it will line the end of the shoe right in the middle of the hub. The hole and screw were already there from the SRS component.

Shoe horn mounted in existing hole with existing screw.

I tucked the wire onto the left side of the green connector to keep it snug and out of the way. The screw will be enough to keep the shoe from moving.

Shoe Horn mounted

Now there is one last modification you have to do to the shoe to get it to seat right. The original angle its at won't let it sit right. Straighten it out with some needle nose pliers and you'll be set.

Miss-aligned horn shoe

And here we have perfect contact. Only the tip of the shoe is touching the contact area on the hub. Will will reduce overall friction which will limit any chances of grinding or squeaking over time.

Fixed alignment

This part has been shown on many other forums but this was how I soldered my 2.2 ohm resister to stop the airbag(SRS) light from turning on.

2.2 Ohm resister soldered into the plug I cut off from the steering wheel for the airbag.

And just so that you don't have to go searching for it. The resister was 2.2 ohms and 1/2watt. It looks like this. The direction you hook up the leads does not matter but I do recommend soldering it for a good connection.

2.2 ohm 1/2w