I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment - Audio) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Help with horn and relay

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thetexan is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with horn and relay

Ok, so now I'm going to replace the wimpy horn with another.

What are the concerns with what I put in there. For example, I like the horn on my Chevy Trailblazer.

Can I buy one of those and put it on the 2017 Civic?

Here are some of the concerns. Is the 12 volt plug standard? Should the Chevy horn plug into the harness for the Honda. Is amperage a problem? I don't want to put a horn in that draws more current than the wiring and fuse call for which might happen with a bigger, more substantial horn.

With a bigger horn will I need a relay? Does the Civic already have one for the horn it has? Or is that the reason the horn is such a toy...because it's so small it doesn't need a relay?

This all assumes I can make it fit. Anything else I'm not thinking of?

tex
Old 05-01-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: New Horn

Yes, you can replace your horn with a horn designed for pretty much any 12v negative ground vehicle. The biggest issue would be attaching the wiring. Most cars use a 1 wire horn and ground to the chassis through the attachment bracket. Others use 2 wires horns with 1 wire being a ground wire.

If you know how to add a relay you could have multiple horns. You could retain the wimpy factory horn and add a couple of horns from something with a little more power.
Old 05-02-2017
Registered!!

Help with horn and relay

I am going to install a new horn, yet to be determined, on my 2017 Civic. However, it will draw more amps than the wire going to the small wimpy horn now. So I need to use that wiring connection to fire a relay that fires the new horn which I will wire to the battery with large gauge wire.

Can someone help me on how to do that please? Or show be some DIYs that show how to do it.

tex
Old 05-02-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help with horn and relay

I got you covered. Very basic wiring diagram. Easy DIY if you have soldering skills and a supply of wire

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch22121032-1.jpg
Views:	2418
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	89797  
Old 05-02-2017
Registered!!

Thank you. Are there horns that come with the proper relay with the horn?

What would be an example of a relay to get for a Big Boy, or some similar horn?

tex
Old 05-02-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

any automotive 4 pin (or 5 pin, for that matter) relay will do. Just make sure that it's rated to exceed the load to which it's supplying. If I'm not mistaken, most automotive 4/5-pin relays are rated for 30A/40A at 12VDC, which should greatly exceed that of an aftermarket horn. If you can find a a relay and a wiring harness for said relay, it'd be better, considering the relay will likely be mounted where it'll be exposed to elements of sorts (vs. mounted inside the cabin of a car).

As for inclusion of a relay with horns, I'm not sure.

What's the amp load of the horns you're looking to use? I've been eyeing the Hella Sharptone horn (set) and many DIY guides out there say to use a 15a fuse in line, which is what the OEM fuse size for my car (2002) uses for the horn