Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

1998 Honda Civic with D15B engine help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jlown is an unknown quantity at this point
1998 Honda Civic with D15B engine help

Good afternoon everyone I recently bought a1998 civic EX that has a crank position sensor code so I started to look for bad wiring and or replacement of the sensor to find that my engine doesn’t have this sensor so I looked for the engine code to find someone has replaced engine with a D15B VTEC engine the car will not rev past 5000RPM no other issues car runs very smooth but seems a little low on power can anyone tell me how to get it to run like it should next to swapping out the engine for the correct D16Y8 engine
Old 01-06-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 1998 Honda Civic with D15B engine help

There is no way of knowing what the previous owner left out or didn't do. Well there is but you are going to have to do some digging around the car. Depending what ECU and parts where used it may not have VTEC. Might be a JDM engine from a CRX which has a VTEC switch over at 4600 (according to WiKi).

If it runs good and passes state requirements I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 02-23-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fgb000 is an unknown quantity at this point

I Have the same douts about a d15b7 swap, improve.
My 1995 eh8 baby here in brazil have 130k Miles. And the engine does have some leaks, poor or bad gás milage compared to how it performed back in the day. Poor performance and bad engine running sound aswell.
Tôo repair it here on some honda specialized mechanic it will be very expensive like 4000 reais. The overhaul. Wich is 1000 dollars almost.
and there is some other honda specialized mechanic that will not take the job not even for 10000 moneys.
Saying that there is no good source of knowledge or parts here in sao Paulo brazil, the biggest city in latin América.

​And I dont think they'll accept this car on a honda dealer mechanic. Or even do a engine swap on it. Because it would probably cost the same price of a 2019 civic.​​​​​​

Like one exemple is: Here the NGK doesnt produce the ngk he71, the ignition wires. Honda started building cars here on 1996.
And in here we have parts to buy from that starting year, like the he76 ignition wires.
So if I really want something Ill have to import it on Ebay and pay more in taxes then the price it self.
or buy used.
Ok. Thats one exemple.

And also change the gear box to a better used one.
And also doing those eletrical changes to have a OBD2 system.

Please, what would be a good "direct bolt" to a easy swap with a newer used engine? Would the axles and*steering*ball joints match ok?

In my case I roll 40 to 45 miles five days a week on highways. I live in the country side. I just take some feel stop lights along my daily trip, like 1.
So I think a good option to me here would be to stick with d-series. Im not looking for mouting a turbo for now.

Would the d17z3 or the d16y8 do a "direct bolt" on everything in mine eh8 baby?

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

crank position sensor code
What is the exact code? (OBD2 format if possible)

I'm not familiar with model variations that were sold in other countries, but
If it were a USA market car with the original engine, the CKP, CMP, and CYP signals would all come from within the distributor (dizzy)

and the sensor near the front crank pulley was called CKF sensor