Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

Turbo? Or supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supraman1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Turbo? Or supercharged?

Before I get too deep in this no I don't want to swap engines (too much hassle on keeping track of mileage), I've heard stock can't handle much forced induction if I'm not mistaken. But between turbo or supercharged what do they have to offer?
Old 10-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Turbo? Or supercharged?

I could write such a long response to this..

but school work to finish, here's the basics.

Supercharged you'd make around 140whp, but have a very linear power curve.

Turbo charged you'd make around 170whp, but the power is on the upper end of the powerband since the turbo needs time to spool.
Old 10-06-2011
Registered!!

So since my car is mainly a street car I should go supercharged? (if I can find one?)
Old 10-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It's personal preference, I would never supercharge a d-series, the power gains just aren't high enough. With a decent turbo lag isn't a big issue, boost won't even kick in if you keep the revs low when it's doing dd duty.
Old 10-07-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah supercharging a d-series is pointless (though personally I love superchargers... esp that whine).. but def go boost if you're keepin' the D. Also, mileage is definitely not a reason not to do a swap. Just assume the mileage is 0 when you put it in. Often people advertise "I've put X miles on this build." Nobody really knows how many miles are on an engine (though of course there are wear indicators.. carbon build up etc)...but if you build it and get it cleaned you could technically say it's a brand new 0 mile engine.
Old 10-07-2011
Registered!!

soo plain and simple go for turbo, m engine has 143k miles on it and its in the shop due to the timing belt jumped 3 teeth (poor car...).
Old 10-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Yeah, I mean, in reality, you can make the same power gains naturally aspirated as you can supercharged. It's not worthwhile. On a k-series or j-series it's different, because you can push them to close to 450whp with a supercharger.