Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Front Suspension Inspection and or Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drbobj is an unknown quantity at this point
Front Suspension Inspection and or Maintenance

I few months ago bought a 2000 Civic LX 189K miles. Did a brief inspection with the front tires off, check CV joint boots, Brake pad thickness, suspension etc. Found out the Upper Ball joint boot is cracked, at least one side if not both. If I plan ahead to replace the upper ball joint boot, I figure I might as well replace the CV boots. So my question is while I am at it what else would it make sense to inspect and or replace pertaining to the front suspension? Not sure if there is supposed to be a boot on the lower ball joint, but if so it is missing. I could imagine there are various bushings, washers etc that are likely worn and could be replaced. I'm just starting to do the research on this but just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Also I realize there may be special tools for things like ball joint removal. I might have one, but as what often comes up just because there is a special tool for things does not mean you absolutely have to have it. Often there is a workaround. Finally, I don't necessarily plan to upgrade the suspension, pretty much go with stock, unless there are some simple stuff that make sense to do. Want to pretty much keep it on a low budget since the car is almost 20 years old. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 06-11-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,128 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Front Suspension Inspection and or Maintenance

Check suspension by having a wheel off the ground and then wiggling the wheel by grabbing at 9 and 3 and then at 12 and 6.
​​​​​​
Just buy new upper control arms, they come with new balljoints and they're fairly inexpensive. And if the boots are missing on the lower ones you might as well get new balljoints, again fairly inexpensive. Most parts stores will loan you the balljoint press for free, you just need to put down a deposit.

The upper ones should come out from the spindle with nothing but a hammer and some penetrating fluid, maybe some heat.
Lower ones need the balljoint press, plus fluid and heat as well if they're really crusty. Check for snap rings before you start using the press. Freeze the new balljoints overnight and keep them in there until they're ready to go in to make it easier.
Old 06-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drbobj is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Front Suspension Inspection and or Maintenance

Colin,
Thanks for the info, at this point it is not urgent so I can take my time and plan ahead. Replacing the upper arm with new ball joint already in place would make sense.
I appreciate your input. Bob

Originally Posted by Colin42
Check suspension by having a wheel off the ground and then wiggling the wheel by grabbing at 9 and 3 and then at 12 and 6.
​​​​​​
Just buy new upper control arms, they come with new balljoints and they're fairly inexpensive. And if the boots are missing on the lower ones you might as well get new balljoints, again fairly inexpensive. Most parts stores will loan you the balljoint press for free, you just need to put down a deposit.

The upper ones should come out from the spindle with nothing but a hammer and some penetrating fluid, maybe some heat.
Lower ones need the balljoint press, plus fluid and heat as well if they're really crusty. Check for snap rings before you start using the press. Freeze the new balljoints overnight and keep them in there until they're ready to go in to make it easier.