I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2000 Civic SE, removed distributor but forgot to mark it

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin73 is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 Civic SE, removed distributor but forgot to mark it

I was changing the distributor cap and rotor on my car today.

Two of the three screws holding the cap on were badly corroded. Vice grips were the only solution with the heads worn so much. To get a better grip on them, I removed the distributor from the engine.

In my haste, I forgot to make any markings, and I know the shaft moved a little bit after I got it off. It didn't occur to me until after that I made the mistake, because I was too focused on the bloody screws

Anyways, i'm going to have to drill the 3rd screw out and replace it with a bolt likely which is fine.

But, is there anything I should do because of the mistake I made, in regards to the engine's firing sequence? I'm assuming it's going to be off a bit since the shaft moved after I took the distributor off. I haven't cranked it since I took it off.

I'm just hoping my mistake during the middle of a basic job doesn't mess things up terribly.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,205 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 2000 Civic SE, removed distributor but forgot to mark it

autozone? or similar autoparts shop? they could lend a timing light tool... try to get a manual while in there? Chilton or "Haynes? i *think* there was still for the 2k vics available
Old 10-24-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You are reusing the distributor, not replacing it? The shaft (and rotor) only fits one way. If you force it to go wrong, you will break expensive things.

Line up all the witness marks (outline of the bolt heads and washers) on each of the mounting ears, and bolt it back down in the exact same place it used to be.

Double check with a real timing light, but if this is done right, the ignition timing will be unaffected.

HTH
Old 10-25-2012
Registered!!

marek91 is an unknown quantity at this point

timing will be fine just put the dizzy back on, timing can only be changed when you jump the ecu the car may run like a bag for a minute but the ECU will fix that.
Old 10-25-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

oh, huh, true, did not see the "cap bolts" part, timing will not change. (was thinking on me oldeee veewee's)
Old 10-25-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
oh, huh, true, did not see the "cap bolts" part, timing will not change. (was thinking on me oldeee veewee's)
Um, he pulled the distributor.
To get a better grip on them, I removed the distributor from the engine.
Old 10-25-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

LOL! true, did not read that part :P so timing could still be an issue x2 strike fer me
Old 10-28-2012
Registered!!

Kevin73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Everything worked out fine.

I had pulled the distributor because the screws on the distributor cap were so badly corroded, that I needed the extra room so I could bore it out.

I never cranked the engine afterwards (had no reason to) so the shaft never moved, and I just put everything back together as it should. It was pretty easy, it would only go one way. The slot in the shaft made all the difference, otherwise it would have been aligned wrong.

So all is well..and will continue to be hopefully...fingers crossed