I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Adding wiring for Dash Cam 2000 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drbobj is an unknown quantity at this point
Adding wiring for Dash Cam 2000 Civic LX

2000 Honda Civic LX. Adding Dash Cam. Does anyone have experience removing the trim covering the A Pillar between windshield and passenger window? Will be running wire up from under dash/glove box area and want to hide the wiring. I have the diagram from shop manual, has image but not much in the way of instruction just says installation is opposite of removal. I assume the idea is to pry the trim till the fasteners release. Just wonder if it can be done without shredding up the trim.
I have attached the installation diagram from dashcam manual, and the shop manual.

Wondering where to start prying up the trim from low by the dash or above the window or to attempt to aim for where the fasteners are?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash Cam Suggested Layout_0002.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	667.3 KB
ID:	112162  
Attached Files
Old 04-26-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adding wiring for Dash Cam 2000 Civic LX

Wondering where to start prying up the trim from low by the dash or above the window or to attempt to aim for where the fasteners are?
Start up high.

Remove the rubber strip (body seal?) along the areas you will be pulling the trim off.
Grab the trim at the top/rear and pull downward (according to the arrows on your diagram) to release the 3 B clips (start at the rearmost clip and work your way forward), then pull the trim toward the drivers side to release the 2 A clips
Old 04-26-2018
Registered!!

ezone,
Thanks for the reply, Just after I posted the thread, I did find some other similar discussions. From what others say, it is not so much the removal of the trim that is difficult, it is getting the clips to snap back in. Hopefully the clips will hold it back in. I have found that as you remove things especially when they are old, and get distorted with removal, sometimes pieces don't go back quite as snug.

Last edited by drbobj; 04-26-2018 at 07:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

True. Old plastic can get brittle, the metal clips can get bent (even on brand new cars).... A small screwdriver and a couple pairs of small needlenose pliers can usually help on damaged clips

Maybe just tuck the wiring in along the edges of the trims and call it good enough?
Old 04-27-2018
Registered!!

I think I will go at least for a temporary plan to tuck the wire, I guess either way I could take some before after and along the way photos and post them. It is likely someone else will do the same thing.
Old 04-28-2018
Registered!!

old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point

I installed a dashcam in ~2014. I didn't remove any trim to do it, just tucking in was good enough.
Old 05-06-2018
Registered!!

JesusWoreNikes is an unknown quantity at this point

I tucked mine on top using a credit card and the side piller snaps out ( 3 Clips I believe ) then ran it under the passenger side and up the back of the cigarette lighter. My dash cam came with two wires I had to tuck in up top so I used a wire cover to make it look a little nicer also.