Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

What are "cam gears" and "cam shafts?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
What are "cam gears" and "cam shafts?"

My friend was telling me how replacing the cam shaft can get you like + 15 hp, to which I replied "yeah, but they probably don't make aftermarket ones for my car."

So, what is a cam gear and a cam shaft? What do they do? Do they make ones for our cars?

At the mmrusa site they had replacement heads or something that were supposed to give you 58 hp!!! I don't suppose those work on our cars either, right?

Thanks,

IronFist
Old 01-10-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
The Cam shaft is in the engine head and has lobes on it that open and close the valves as the engine runs. The cam gear is on the end of the cam shaft and is connected via the timing belt (or chain) to the crank shaft. This ensures the valves open at the proper time relative to the cylinder position. Go to How Stuff Works and read up.
Old 01-10-2003
em2

sspem2 has a spectacular aura aboutsspem2 has a spectacular aura about
no one makes camshafts for our cars but you can send it somewhere i forget to get it regrinded for like $80 and i heard it gets like 10 hp. the cam gears i dunno what they do but aem makes them but i dunno for our cars though. im thinking cam gears moves some kinda chain in our engine cuz it has rough edges on it. i know im not sounding smart here lol but you get the point.
Old 01-10-2003
Registered!!

CivicRicer02 is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW a re grind were do you get that done at?><>?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-10-2003
Registered!!

asianmatrix02 is an unknown quantity at this point
the cam gear connects the cam shaft to the timing belt. with aftermarket cam gears, you can retard or advance when the valves open or close usually up to 10 degrees.
Old 01-10-2003
Registered!!

zetaR is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: CivicRicer02
WOW a re grind were do you get that done at?><>?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG][hr]
Crower
Old 01-10-2003
Registered!!

woohooh00 is an unknown quantity at this point
gude performance/bullfrog racing

i haven't anything too good about the company though... some members were having problems with the quality in the past.
Old 01-10-2003
Registered!!

JDog2001CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
So you told your friend that they don't make any aftermarket cams for our cars yet but you don't know what a cam is????
Old 01-10-2003
Registered!!

2001civ is an unknown quantity at this point
Fot those that have gotten the regrind, do you have any feed back on them?
Old 01-10-2003
Registered!!

jungleboogie is an unknown quantity at this point
correct me if i'm wrong... but i thought "that" timing was computer controlled so it's pretty useless to get cam gears for our civics
Old 01-10-2003
Registered!!

Vesper is an unknown quantity at this point
correction : your wrong
Old 01-10-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
[hr]Originally posted by: jungleboogie
correct me if i'm wrong... but i thought "that" timing was computer controlled so it's pretty useless to get cam gears for our civics[hr]
You could possibly be thinking of VTEC (Variable Timing and Electronic Control), but the timing of the cam in relation to the pistons inside the engine is not a computer controlled thing. There is a belt linking the cam gear and the crank shaft. So that they rotate together and the valves open at the proper times. Advancing the timing just moves the opening of the valves farther forward in the combustion cycle, retarding does the opposite.
Old 01-10-2003
Registered!!

RyzRocket02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it possible to put mold cams into our cars? Was it lambo or ferrari that had them? Or was it both? I keep getting mixed up... Anyways, I think that'd be cool and save a little more gas.
Old 01-11-2003
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
[hr]Originally posted by: JDog2001CivicEX
So you told your friend that they don't make any aftermarket cams for our cars yet but you don't know what a cam is????[hr]
Yes, that's what I said. I said it jokingly because they don't make much stuff for our cars [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] I guess text doesn't convey the tone with which I said it. Heh, nevermind [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Sorry for any confusion.

IronFist
Old 01-13-2003
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: jungleboogie
correct me if i'm wrong... but i thought "that" timing was computer controlled so it's pretty useless to get cam gears for our civics[hr]
You have ignition timing that's computer controlled.

Then there is valve timing, which is mostly mechanical done by the cam.

So if you change the cam gear angle, you can change the valve timing somewhat.