I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

99 Civic EX Interior Fans Not Working At Any Speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
120K is an unknown quantity at this point
99 Civic EX Interior Fans Not Working At Any Speed

Hello all. I apologize if this was asked before, I could not find an exact answer and I am a novice with some experience in maintaining my car. I have a 99 Civic EX and before today, I had no problems with the interior fans. When I started my car today, the fans would blow at any speed setting. When I turn the dial to and from the highest speed, I can hear a clicking coming from what I assume to be the blower motor under the passenger side glove box.

I looked through the manual and found only two fuses that I though could be related to the fans; #17 [Heater/AC relay] and #9 [Heater Motor]. Both seem to be intact and I tried spare ones in their place just to be sure. I would appreciate some help in diagnosing the issue and determining what the problem could be. Thank you.
Old 12-20-2012
Kevin

rr081709 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 99 Civic EX Interior Fans Not Working At Any Speed

Seems to me that i had a problem with this a couple years ago, putting a replacement blower motor in fixed the job for me. But first i recommend you remove the motor from the housing under and behind the glove box, and try connecting it to a power source to verify that it is the problem. It may seem obvious, but do make sure that you supply the correct power, can't remember what voltage i used.... Do make sure that you take ample safety precautions to prevent electrocuting yourself, as a jolt to your body could be unpleasant!
Old 12-24-2012
Kevin

rr081709 is an unknown quantity at this point

have you had any luck with diagnosing this problem yet? if not, i could try and scan and upload the information from my haynes book.. it's not the most thorough, but i'm sure you could us some of it.
Old 12-25-2012
Registered!!

D Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a test light, you can unplug the blower motor and place one side of the probe in one pin and the other side in the other pin. If it lights up, the blower motor is commanded on and has failed. Make sure you have they key on and the fan switched on. Also, you could just turn on the switch and smack it. That will usually make in come on for a minute.