I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Should Extended Warranty cover Actuators?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jamesd058 is an unknown quantity at this point
Should Extended Warranty cover Actuators?

I live in Ontario, Canada. I bought the "7 Year Extended Warranty" (4 additional years) and I was just told by the Dealer that it does not cover the Door Lock Acutator replacement. However, on this and another Honda Forum, I have heard a few times people stating that they did get the Actuator covered by "Extended" Honda Warranty. When I asked for clarification from my Dealer, they just emphacized I need to read the documentation I received when I purchased it.

It wouldn't be the first time a Honda Dealer, and Honda Canada refused to cover something, then changed their mind after some investigation and pressure! Can anyone please share their experience?

Appreciate your time and input. Thanks & Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Should Extended Warranty cover Actuators?

Well yes it would make sense.. considering that is not a regular maintenance item.

Do you know what kind of warranty it was? Is it bumper to bumper, or just powertrain (engine, transmission and drivetrain issues)?
Old 01-01-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah actuators are not considered a "wearable" part like brakes/tires and should be covered.
Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

I will grab the paperwork and have a detailed look tonight. Thanks for comments.
Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

My extended Warranty coverage is the Honda PLUS Extended Owner Comfort "Comphrehensive" Plan, plus Roadside Assistance: Unlimited! When I open the brochure and view the details section "Doors and Body", I see "Power Door Lock Actuator" covered under the "Comp" and "Major" columns! I also have the original Contract/Receipt that I signed in the Dealer, and I have the necessary "Service Contract Confirmation" Letter you get in the mail after. It confirms "7 YRS, 160,000 KM, (Whichever occurs first)", and Roadside Assistance: UNLIMITED KM's.

So it looks like I do have Warranty coverage for this item! Would it not be a major violation of the contract I have with Honda Canada and the Dealer for the service Rep' to outright tell me I'm not covered, considering he put me on HOLD and went away to check! He verified it. Could he have been lying outright?

I wonder how many people get screwed because they do not or don't know how to perform "due diligence" and verify these things. Do I call back and pretend it is the first time or what? This could have cost me big bucks; they even told me 2 hours labour to do job, when it is really 1.5 hrs. When I told them another dealer quoted the 1.5 they said, no problem, we'll do 1.5. That's an extra $50 at $99 (CAN$) per hour!

Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

dealers are always shady. its up to you to make them fix it. or else call and complain to honda canada that one of their dealers is refusing warranty work. fyi, it takes maybe 15 mins to change one actuator if you are slow. its just a few screws and rods to remove and swap. i cant imagine it taking so long unless they are doing all the doors lol. just call back, tell them you have a warranty repair and need to setup an appointment. if they act stupid when you get there, show them the papers.
Old 01-05-2010
Registered!!

Smile Re: Should Extended Warranty cover Actuators?

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. It's done.

I called and asked for a Service Rep' I had dealt with and knew who I was. I said I did some research, found my papers, and would like him to confirm that the Actuator was covered, and he confirmed it! Bottom line is, we need to be smarter. Profit will always dominate the business world and if there is a way to weasle out of or around something, the profiteers will find it, & do it!

You must wonder sometimes if anyone out there plays by the rules, let alone laws! This and other forums are part of the education most consumers require, so that we can all exercise more "Due Diligence!" Thanks to all of you that frequently watch, monitor, and respond to these forums, especially you Admins!!!