I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

COOL idea: auto shift lites for stick position!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moreMPG is an unknown quantity at this point
COOL idea: auto shift lites for stick position!

Hello all,
I have a manual 92-95 era Civic. Installed an automatic cluster.
What I want--> the "3" lite to illuminate when I'm in 3rd gear, for ex.

How do I go about doing this?
Those [1 2 3 4 N R P] lights would look cool for us stick owners!

I'm new at all this by the way.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GaugeCluster lites.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	76102  
Old 04-10-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COOL idea: auto shift lites for stick position!

thats not gonna be easy, since on the auto those lights are controled by the computer. i dont think its even possible to do on a manual without an elaborate computer setup and some sensors.
Old 04-10-2009
Registered!!

Ok, but how does the computer on an automatic 'know' what gear was selected? There must be switches sensing the arm position, yeah? And do you think I could remove a computer from an auto, and install it in my manual (just for the sake of the lights)? Also, how are the lights illuminated? Relays? What voltages? Are they LED or little incandescent bulbs? Lastly, will I need additional wires/harnesses/connectors or was the CX already pre-wired at the factory?
Old 04-10-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

they are just bulbs in the older clusters. all the logic is done by the ecu and the multiplex control unit, none of which you can just use for the light controls (not to mention they cost thousands of $$). i believe the ecu also uses input from the auto transmission to determine the gear to display.
Old 04-10-2009
Registered!!

Ok. I got it. Thanx for the info. So instead of orchestrating it the automatic ECU way, I guess I'll have to lift up the gearshift boot and somehow attach/mount microswitches of some kind to each gear slot (when arm engages in position). Six switches.
I'd do 7 if I want the [N] to illuminate when not in gear...but that could get annoying, and an [N]-on-light between shifts sounds too complex of a circuit, me thinx.
Since I was kicked out of my electronics class for devising devious devices, I didn't get to learn enough about simple IC Chip 101 circuitry. Does anyone want to:
1. draw up a schematic for me, or
2. tell me what Voltage those bulbs are?
Unless you convince me otherwise, I'm planning going the primitive route: 6 switches, each dedicated to an individual bulb.
Whaddya think? Comments?...pessimism? (.....encouragement even?)

P.S. has anyone ever inquired about this light idea before me? (j.curious)

Last edited by moreMPG; 04-10-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: grammatical error, replaced w/ intentional misspellings
Old 04-10-2009
Premium Member

you may want to take this over to hidplanet.com leds forum and ask there. its over my head already lol.