Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

What's the biggest Rim\Tire without rubbing

Old 03-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hughheff is an unknown quantity at this point
What's the biggest Rim\Tire without rubbing

Hey guys,

looking to purchase rims and tires for spring soon, whats the biggest you can go with or seen on civics... 97 4DR to be precise......

I see alot with 17's.... anyone seen bigger without drastic modifications needed

Thanks in advance..
Old 03-26-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's the biggest Rim\Tire without rubbing

With larger rims and tires, you're supposed to attempt to match the overall tire diameter of stock. That said, rubbing issues are less because of rim diameter, but moreso tread width, rim width, and wheel offset.

Widest tire, people typically go with a 215, as 225 starts to cause issues. That allows for a 7-8" rim width. Also, forgot where I read it, but people typically stick with a wheel offset between -35 to -45 (or et35-et45). At stock height, it's probably less of an issue of rubbing with wider tires.

My 02 has a 215 treadwidth with 17x7 et42 rims. Only rubbing I see is on the inner fender well lining while turned fully to either side, even then, rubbing is negligible.
Old 03-26-2014
Registered!!

sick.... good info thanks man...

do you think 17' rim would be the max... or would 18's 19'' mabye work too... of corse depending on width of rim... ?
Old 03-26-2014
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

depends, what do you want? Looks, performance, or a happy mix? If you're wanting to go big, sounds like simply looks.

A word of caution, the larger the rim, typically, the heavier it is. Heavier rim makes for more weight for the engine to rotate, and you'll likely see a decrease in power and/or gas mileage. Large diameter lightweight rims typically cost a **** ton, too.

Also, with larger rim diameters comes more expensive tires. Just for ***** and giggles, I looked up 215/45-17 and 205/40-18 (both would give the least speedometer error for my car) tires on tires.com and found the same model tire, just so happened to be the michelin pilot super sports. The 215/17s cost $153, and the 205/18s cost $170.

That said, if an extra $80 is nothing to you, you can simply look at the bit I mentioned about rim weights.

If you still wanna go as big as possible, my personal opinion is 17s, maybe 18s. Personally, 19's are a bit much for a Civic, but that's just one man's opinion.
Old 03-26-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You could donk it

17's is the largest I would go. Anything larger would look stupid, especially if the car is not lowered.
Old 03-27-2014
Registered!!

17's it is... lol that picture is great
Old 03-30-2014
Registered!!

azkicker0027 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
this always help.
Old 03-30-2014
Administrator
Administrator

^my go-to resource for tire sizing. We used to have one "installed" on the forum, but when the new owners took over in '05, they took it out