Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hard to put in 1st or reverse 5 speed standard

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark Mandolin is an unknown quantity at this point
Hard to put in 1st or reverse 5 speed standard

Happy New Year Folks! Recently acquired a 98 Honda Civic DX hatchback with only 145,000 km. Standard transmission and totally stock no mods whatsoever except CRX 14" rims. Car in pretty good shape so I went ahead with a major maintenance including new timing belt and change all fluids. But now sometimes it's very difficult to put in first or reverse when parked or stopped at light. Is an intermittent problem. Could be at a red light turns green and wont go into gear you have to force it. Same going into reverse like to get out of driveway. Can rev motor double clutch whatever clutch pedal to floor you end up forcing it with a clunk. Gearbox oil changed. I parked it for a few days worried maybe the clutch was going and I was ruining the transmission but just started it up and it shifted smoothly into first and reverse when stopped. Did it cold warmed up motor and smoothly engaged reverse. However I know if I drive it around eventually sooner or later it will be hard shifting in first and reverse from a standstill. No problem downshifting from 2nd down to 1st moving slow or fast. This is the only issue when car is moving upshifts and downshifts through all gears and speeds no problem and car runs very nice everything works handles great like new.
Slight shake at 140 kph. Running cheap new snowtires on older CRX 14" rims freshly installed and balanced. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-01-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hard to put in 1st or reverse 5 speed standard

It kinda is a common thing with Honda MTs, a quick way to alleviate that is to shift into 2nd, then shift it into first. Something about aligning gear teeth when shifting or something and how being in 2nd gear before first makes it align much nicer. I'm not terribly sure about the mechanics of that. On my 2002, it was second nature for me to shift into second then into first -- no matter what. I never had to do anything extra for reverse since I always kept my car parked in first gear. If you're feeling frisky, lightly raising the clutch pedal while trying to put it in first works, too (maybe 1-2cm pedal travel).

I was gonna say try changing your tranny fluid, but then I re-read your post a bit more carefully and realized you had already done that. Reading is hard.
Old 01-01-2019
Registered!!

Thanks xRICeBoY I was going to have the mechanic check it out but after posting this maybe not. Posting generated related posts pretty much saying exactly what you said. Thing is living near Vancouver BC Canada I was going to go on a Road trip with my kids and want to be sure everything is bullet proof. You can quickly drive into the snowy wilderness where a Sunday drive can literally turn into a life threatening end game type adventure even with a reliable Car. My 98 runs great new timing belt reliable dealership went through car exhaust brakes front end ok rear struts and engine gaskets oil pump gaskets timing belt spark plugs air filter changed out I never specifically said check the clutch or transmission......all this work done very recently.
At this point I just want to be sure I'm not needlessly grinding gears when possibly linkage or bushings clutch adjustment whatever may improve shifting. I'm the third owner who knows how it was driven these last 20 years. On the other hand if its just the quwerky nature of an older transmission and nothing to worry about that would be reassuring to know. I do appreciate your feedback. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

If the shifter feels sloppy and vague you replace the shifter bushings, that could help, although I've noticed in a couple different Honda's reverse can sometimes be tricky, going into first and then reverse seemed to help
Old 01-01-2019
Registered!!

Thanks Colin 42. I have owned a brand new 5th generation Honda back in the day. Also a couple of relatively low mileage 7th generation Civics. All with 5 speed manual. This is the first 20 year old Honda I've owned. Although at 143,000 km it's not badly worn. I know reverse is not synchronised like the forward gears and some difficulty throwing in reverse is normal with these Honda's. But not difficulty putting it in first? What I'm experiencing seems more then that though. The gearbox seems fine otherwise. I'm going to let a mechanic check it over just in case and hopefully I'll be reporting back that xRICeBoYx is totally correct .

Cheers
Old 01-02-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

check your clutch fluid level as well it may be low
Old 01-02-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Colin42
Honda's reverse can sometimes be tricky, going into first and then reverse seemed to help
My 88 Accord was like this and so was my 7th gen. I'm not sure if my Fit was like that as it became a habit and just what I did to go into reverse. I would have to tell myself to not do it. I though it was synchro related.
Old 01-02-2019
Registered!!

xRICeBoYx is correct. I did take my car to a very nice Honda dealership that said let a mechanic take it for a test drive before we intake you into service (and charge you money). Everything is fine. Clutch hydrolic fluid at right level . Mechanic says all is well. So it's a querk of Honda just like xRICeBoYx said no big deal. Here is the thread that explains better what xRICeBoYx said about the mechanics of why it's hard to shift in first even if you know you grinded gear 2 3 or whatever. Peace folks. You all rock!

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/358807-manual-trans-hard-get-into-first-reverse.html