Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 civic ex has no 🔥

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BdubH22 is an unknown quantity at this point
98 civic ex has no 🔥

Hi guys, im new here and im fairly good with this kind of thing but my no spark problem is driving me nuts. D16y8 everything works but no spark. I just got through with rebuilding the block(spun rod bearing) in my apartments parking lot. I started the car the day i started tearing it down so i know everything should be working. I put it back together and i have no spark. Its getting fuel, it turns over, timing is right, battery light comes on the dash, CEL comes on when i turn the key and then goes off. Coil resistance is within parameters, new crank sensor as i broke the plastic on the old one.. I dont know what im missing. The only thing i noticed with my test light is when the light is grounded, it lights up on both the positive and negative sides of the coil (primary) and does not pulse when turning the motor over. What have i missed or what decided to take a crap on me in the 5 days ive been working on it?
Old 11-11-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 98 civic ex has no 🔥

Coil resistance is within parameters,
Not a good test. Dynamic testing is where it's at
But does it create spark? A good coil should throw a lightning bolt more than 10mm, but a bad coil might only make a spark that jumps a 1mm air gap (you may only find this checking directly at the coil tower)...and it will still pass your ohm checks with flying colors.

does not pulse when turning the motor over
Incandescent test light may not react quick enough to see the trigger signal.
Better check would be using a dwell meter. ANY dwell reading during cranking, even 5 degrees, means the igniter is trying to trigger the coil.
That would show if there is really no trigger signal coming from ICM (igniter)....then you can start questioning if the ICM is bad or if it may be something else in front of that in the system (wiring, ecm, distributor).

Also: Aftermarket distributors are crap.