Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Restore a 96 Civic EX Coupe Back to Life

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lorenzoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Restore a 96 Civic EX Coupe Back to Life

Hi everyone,

This is a long post so please bare with me here!

I've just recently acquired a 6th Gen Civic. I'm more familiar with 7th Gen Civics but they seem very similar.
It's a 1996 Honda Civic EX Coupe (Automatic) w/ 184K miles. I have no idea how long it sat for but it was neglected for sure.
Previous owner suggested engine was swapped around 130K but I can't really verify that.
I tried looking on the engine block where the engine number is but it's really dirty so I'll clean it tomorrow with a brush and see which D16 engine it has.

Upon receiving the car, I noticed a check engine light went on as I was driving on the freeway (car runs and drives poorly at the moment).
Also, the e-brake dash light was turning on when accelerating from a stop.
I did some research and it suggested that my brake fluid was low so I topped it off temporarily (I will be doing a complete change/bleed soon).

It also has trouble hitting 3rd gear (trans slips?) and shifting through the gear shifter (going from Park to Reverse to D3). It shakes the car heavy.
Could someone verify if this is because the transmission fluid is low? I checked the dip stick and it was pretty low. Hopefully it'll be fixed by a ATF change.

Also, I went to change the oil and the old oil was very gunky and sludgy, not to mention really black and dirty.
Should I put a motor flush in it (debatable topic I know but just wanna make sure it's clean in there since it was sitting for who knows how long).

Here's what I'm going to do to service the car (Honda fluids are 10% off right now at my local dealer)
1. Oil + Filter Change (Mobil-1 High Mileage 5W-30 Oil + M1-104A Filter)
2. Honda Genuine ATF-DW1 Automatic Transmission Fluid CHANGE (not flush)
3. Power Steering Fluid Change/Flush (w/ Honda Genuine Power Steering Fluid)
4. Coolant Change/Flush with some fresh new coolant (there was barely any in the reservoir)
5. Brake Fluid Flush (bleed out old fluid and top off the master cylinder on all 4 sides)
6. Replace brake rotors/pads (they're rusted). Calipers are rusted too but I may be able to restore those)
7. Replace spark plugs with new NGK V-Power 2262 (ZFR5F11) spark plugs (don't really wanna put Iridiums/Platinums)
8. Clean out throttle body to get rid of any carbon build up
9. Clean out air intake filter (there's no air box, it's been replaced with a cold air intake I believe that's what it's called)

OK, now here is my question.
- What else should I do to bring this car back to life?
- What other mods would you suggest?
Please let me know if I should or shouldn't do any of these things!
Please keep in mind the car has been sitting for who knows how long and needs a major service!

Thanks for reading this long post!
Old 09-18-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restore a 96 Civic EX Coupe Back to Life

not that it'll tell you much, but I know on a D17 I swapped into my 7thgen, there was a VIN plate on the backside (oil filter side, kinda high up) on the block. At least will tell you what year trim it came from.

If you're gonna do an oil change anyways, you can always pull the oil pan to see how gunky it is. May give you insight to how clean the internals of the engine are.

Tranny fluid, may wanna do a few drain and fills to try and get some crap out of there.

Any records of timing belt, water pump, etc. done? A few hundred bucks for some peace of mind?

like you, I"m not very familiar with the D16 and am more well versed on the D17
Old 09-18-2018
Registered!!

lorenzoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
not that it'll tell you much, but I know on a D17 I swapped into my 7thgen, there was a VIN plate on the backside (oil filter side, kinda high up) on the block. At least will tell you what year trim it came from.

If you're gonna do an oil change anyways, you can always pull the oil pan to see how gunky it is. May give you insight to how clean the internals of the engine are.

Tranny fluid, may wanna do a few drain and fills to try and get some crap out of there.

Any records of timing belt, water pump, etc. done? A few hundred bucks for some peace of mind?

like you, I"m not very familiar with the D16 and am more well versed on the D17
I learned how to work on cars on my D17 (daily driver).
I'll take a look today in more detail on the engine block.
Probably a D16Y8 Thanks for the tip on the tranny fluid.
Unfortunately, I have zero records of anything serviced (which is why I wanted to completely tuneup/service the car).
The only record I have is oil change in May 2017 and supposed D16 engine swapped sometime last year (which may not even be true).
My biggest issue right now is just the overall engine performance with the gear shifter and hitting 3rd gear.
If I can resolve that issue without the car shaking like crazy, I will invest in changing the timing belt/water pump.
Hopefully, the tranny fluid service will solve that issue (I really, really hope so).
Old 02-18-2021
Banned

Jakinko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lorenzoz
Hi everyone,

This is a long post so please bare with me here!

I've just recently acquired a 6th Gen Civic. I'm more familiar with 7th Gen Civics but they seem very similar.
It's a 1996 Honda Civic EX Coupe (Automatic) w/ 184K miles. I have no idea how long it sat for but it was neglected for sure.
Previous owner suggested engine was swapped around 130K but I can't really verify that.
I tried looking on the engine block where the engine number is but it's really dirty so I'll clean it tomorrow with a brush and see which D16 engine it has.

Upon receiving the car, I noticed a check engine light went on as I was driving on the freeway (car runs and drives poorly at the moment).
Also, the e-brake dash light was turning on when accelerating from a stop.
I did some research and it suggested that my brake fluid was low so I topped it off temporarily (I will be doing a complete change/bleed soon).

It also has trouble hitting 3rd gear (trans slips?) and shifting through the gear shifter (going from Park to Reverse to D3). It shakes the car heavy.
Could someone verify if this is because the transmission fluid is low? I checked the dip stick and it was pretty low. Hopefully it'll be fixed by a ATF change.

Also, I went to change the oil and the old oil was very gunky and sludgy, not to mention really black and dirty.
Should I put a motor flush in it (debatable topic I know but just wanna make sure it's clean in there since it was sitting for who knows how long).

Here's what I'm going to do to service the car (Honda fluids are 10% off right now at my local dealer)
1. Oil + Filter Change (Mobil-1 High Mileage 5W-30 Oil + M1-104A Filter)
2. Honda Genuine ATF-DW1 Automatic Transmission Fluid CHANGE (not flush)
3. Power Steering Fluid Change/Flush (w/ Honda Genuine Power Steering Fluid)
4. Coolant Change/Flush with some fresh new coolant (there was barely any in the reservoir)
5. Brake Fluid Flush (bleed out old fluid and top off the master cylinder on all 4 sides)
6. Replace brake rotors/pads (they're rusted). Calipers are rusted too but I may be able to restore those)
7. Replace spark plugs with new NGK V-Power 2262 (ZFR5F11) spark plugs (don't really wanna put Iridiums/Platinums)
8. Clean out throttle body to get rid of any carbon build up
9. Clean out air intake filter (there's no air box, it's been replaced with a cold air intake I believe that's what it's called)

OK, now here is my question.
- What else should I do to bring this car back to life?
- What other mods would you suggest?
Please let me know if I should or shouldn't do any of these things!
Please keep in mind the car has been sitting for who knows how long and needs a major service!

Thanks for reading this long post!
For me, point 9 really helped.But only for a period of time, then I had to change the set. I think it's even better if there are already problems with the air intake, it's easier to replace the kit immediately than to clean it, it doesn't cost that much. If you do not take in parts of course. For example I found some interesting information about Best Cold Air Intake For Honda Civic https://boostyourengine.com/cold-air...r-honda-civic/ and have read about it here before I do or don't take it for me. A year ago I just changed it and judging by the reviews it should last long enough.

Last edited by Jakinko; 02-19-2021 at 07:50 AM.