Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Does this pop off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018
prr
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prr is an unknown quantity at this point
Does this pop off?

I need to replace the hatchback lift supports for my Civic. I found some @ Rockauto (http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/901471/ is for one side).

My question is--the part that is on the left side of the picture (from the monroe.com site), that has holes for screws--it is screwed onto the frame of the car underneath black plastic trim. I took two pics, you can see them here.

My quesition is--does this black plastic trim pop off, or do I need a special tool to take it off--and will it snap back on? The white lines in the second pic are the conductor element in the rear windshield.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180808_205329.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	687.4 KB
ID:	112430   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180808_205416.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	737.4 KB
ID:	112431  
Old 08-08-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does this pop off?

There's probably a U shaped metal band wrapped around the end that grips the ball on the stud.
Use a pocket screwdriver to lift that U shaped clip out a ways, and the end of the strut should then just come right off the stud.

Make sure the tailgate is supported, don't mash your head.
Old 08-09-2018
prr
Registered!!

OK I'll go look today or tomorrow.

Yeah, gotta be careful about the head mashing part. That could ruin an entire day.

Thanks for the tip on how to handle this. I might have just let it slide, but one day wife & kids borrowed my Civic, and I forgot to tell them about it. It was an unpleasant surprise, but seriously a problem like this really could hurt someone, so I need to get it fixed.
Old 08-14-2018
prr
Registered!!

post deleted (double post)

Last edited by prr; 08-14-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-14-2018
prr
Registered!!

I didn't realize until I went out and looked at it, and then saw this video, that you were talking about the lift support itself, instead of the trim like I was talking about in the OP. (
)
Old 08-14-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

just pry carefully from different sides, one side will move the most start popping it off from that point
Old 08-14-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prr
instead of the trim like I was talking about in the OP.

I couldn't see what you're dealing with, I assumed the struts would pop right out without having to deal with any trims.
I haven't had to do much to cars that old in a long time LOL
Old 08-14-2018
prr
Registered!!

I was able to pop them off quickly when I saw in a video what you were talking about.

Hey this car is an oldie but goodie. Apart from this lift support issue I'm working on now, the last time I had a non-routine maintenance item need to be fixed on this car was 2012, when my mechanic fixed a leaking seal when he did the timing belt. You could call that maintenance if you wanted, I don't know. At some point (before or after 2012, I forget) he replaced an electronic part in my transmission for a couple hundred bucks. Since then, its only been brakes, batteries, tires, oil & coolant drains. I'm loving it!

Originally Posted by ezone
I couldn't see what you're dealing with, I assumed the struts would pop right out without having to deal with any trims.
I haven't had to do much to cars that old in a long time LOL
Old 08-15-2018
prr
Registered!!

OK the new set is scheduled to arrive on Friday.

I went out today to remove the old pair, which I was able to do with your technique of pulling that u clip back a bit.
OK now, just look at this picture:

It is clear that the end on teh right side, is what attaches to the frame of the car, so to speak. The end on the left side is what attaches to the hatchback itself.

But the end on the left side of the picture, I'm not sure about. Will I be able to pull the support off that end (by pulling on the u clip), and then simply attaching the new lift support (without the end on the left)? Or is this going to be a lot more complicated.... ?
Old 08-15-2018

But the end on the left side of the picture, I'm not sure about. Will I be able to pull the support off that end (by pulling on the u clip),
I suppose you will find out when you can see the new unit in person.
Old 08-15-2018
prr
Registered!!

OK I'll take a look when I get it.
Old 08-18-2018
prr
Registered!!

As it turns out, I had to install the new ones by screwing in the bracket--there was no ball & socket with a uclip. Oh well it was just a thought I had. Its all done now, thanks as always for your comments.