Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How 2 Remove Rubber Spark Plug Tube Seals

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lindylex is an unknown quantity at this point
How 2 Remove Rubber Spark Plug Tube Seals

I was in the process of replacing my valve cover gaskets and got stuck. The 4 rubber gaskets seem like they are vulcanized to the metal. Not sure if I used that word correctly. I tried pouring hot water on them. I also tried my heating gun. They did not work. Any ideas how to get these out?

My car is a 1997 Honda Civic LX sedan.

Thanks, Lex
Old 08-02-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How 2 Remove Rubber Spark Plug Tube Seals

On my 2002, I used a big ol' flat head screw driver and a hammer. Go in from the top, rest the screwdriver on the top of the seal, tap the sucker out. Should work the same on a 6thgen

edit: specified type of screw driver. I'm sure you can make other screw drivers work, but why try if you have a tool that'll work.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 08-02-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
On my 2002, I used a big ol' screw driver and a hammer. Go in from the top, rest the screwdriver on the top of the seal, tap the sucker out. Should work the same on a 6thgen
This
Old 08-02-2018
Registered!!

lindylex is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for the late response. Thanks I got it to work immediately after posting doing exactly what you said using a screw driver. I made a YouTube video for the pesky grommet.

I will post it later.

Thanks all.
Old 08-03-2018
Registered!!

old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point

When you put the valve cover back on, be careful to line everything up properly and gently slide the cover down and that each seal is going over each tube. I changed these in 2014 and saw afterward that 2 seals had been pinched when reinstalling the valve cover. These leaked a bit of oil into the normally clean and dry spark plug well. Ended up having to redo those 2 as the lip of the seals had been torn. Running an oily finger around the inside of the seals helps them slide down the tubes. (like when you put a bit of oil on an oil filter gasket)
Old 06-20-2019
Registered!!

SSky ase master is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: How 2 Remove Rubber Spark Plug Tube Seals

I'm truly sorry to see this forum so inundated with misinformation, wrong info, wrong guesses and unfortunately so many uninformed opinions... I say unfortunately because I feel the people responding who've committed the previously mentioned "sins" did so with every good intention in mind or for moral support, which again isn't or couldn't be done in malice. It is better to have more heads I suppose to overcome the unknown, because in a head is where ideas are born. It's all great and it sort of works fine. But I, being the efficiency junkie I admit I am, find it all inspiring, wholesome, good and frustrating as hell... at the same time! Especially when you're already frustrated almost beyond logic, which to me is when you just start throwing money and new parts indiscriminately at your motor vehicle, without confirming component failure or for no gopd reason other than frustration... this is where the guessing game literally begins... i.e. member #1: "What other part, thing or component would cause these symptoms''... member #2: "Oh it could be this, that, blah, blah and blah, but only if blah blah... well you get the point. If I guess at something, its because I've exhausted all other known remedies and am using my training, knowledge of mechanical theory and 35 years of wrenching experience to come to the next step of diagnosing the issue. Folks, it's ok to say: I don't know. I do it all the time, other pros say it too, because even a master ase tech certified for decades, can't possibly know everything. I know they don't. Anyway to my original point of whether repair forums are extremely helpful or an exercise in frustration... I gotta say the jury's still out. However, some are much worse and some others are much better informed than the others. The searching for your particular issue is the most frustrating, time consuming task for all forums equally. But I wish that somehow the whole process could be expedited or made more efficient in it's presentation/operation, and yes, I realize I want that even though it's a totally voluntary (free) service. I guess I'm a glutton for efficiency, or a perfectionist or maybe what I think would be a better word (if it even IS a word), "precisionist". That being said, I'm here to help to the best of my knowledge and maybe seeking help of my own, from other members.