Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car starts, won’t start or just shuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicbtch is an unknown quantity at this point
Car starts, won’t start or just shuts off while driving

I own a 2000 Honda Civic Si, with a turbo charger. I’ve been having this issue for several months, had a MSD ignition, thought that was the problem, so I replaced it, ran good for a few days, then it started doing the same thing again. Took out the MSD completely and put a on brand new distributor, plugs and wires, once again did good for awhile. Then it started acting up again, had a reader put on it and it spit out 5 codes, only really worried about one of them, the MAP sensor, so I bought one, stopped somewhere before going home, came back to the car and it wouldn’t start, changed the MAP sensor, and it fired right up, now I’m thinking problem solved, not so much. Driving to work the very next morning and it shuts off on me going down the street, I kept trying to start it and after about 5 minutes it started, so off to work I went. I have days where it starts and I make it to work but then after work it won’t start. My man works on it for me and he’s checked all the wires under the dash and they’re all good, sometimes he works on it for several hours and other times it’s like 10 or 15 minutes and it starts. Thursday it wouldn’t start so he was messing with the wires, then he had me push my alarm button 5 times, and it started, so crazy. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Feeling Frustrated
Civicbtch
Old 07-29-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Car starts, won’t start or just shuts off while driving

Ya good luck with that.

lol

There are soooo many possible causes that it's impossible to help you at this point.

You need to track down which major issue is not functioning. AIR, FUEL OR SPARK.

Air flow shouldn't really be an issue so its fuel or spark.

Once youve found which one you will need to trace back every component which would cause that issue including the modified parts like whatever you used to tune the car.

Check all grounds, fusses, and relays

Start at the spark plugs and test for a strong spark.
test the fuel pressure
test the ignition pulse signal
check the timing

Look at the a/f ratio

After you've done this you should find the issue. Now that you now the issue you can troubleshoot the cause.
Old 07-29-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Car starts, won’t start or just shuts off while driving

Ignition switch? Remove the alarm system?