Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1999 Honda Civic Cranks but no Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99hondamar is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 Honda Civic Cranks but no Start

Hi all,

I have been doing some repairs on my 99 Honda Civic.

I recently replaced the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter and both O2 sensors. My old one had a crack around the upstream O2 sensor, apparently pretty common. Anyways I was having some misfire issues and the CEL was flashing, I got the codes pulled and the following were showing:

P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0132 HO2S-1 (Bank 1 Sensor 1) Circuit High Input (Assuming this was the result of the crack in the exhaust manifold
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0300 Multiple Misfire Detected
P1399 Misfire in Any Cylinder

I was hoping these issues were as a result of same bad readings from the O2 sensor from the cracked exhaust manifold.

So I got the new cat/exhaust manifold on (brand new O2 sensors), I disconnected the battery to let the computer reset. I drive it for about 10 minutes or so, and the car starts misfiring when a load is put on the engine (just as before). So I drive it home, and start looking at the spark plug wires, they are old but seem to be in good condition. I restart the car and pull the plug on Cylinder 2 to see if there is spark getting through the wires. When I pull the plug, before I can even see if there is any spark, the engine just dies.

I try to restart the car, and now it will not restart. Just to see if it was wires, I went to the auto parts store and put new wires on. The thing still isn't starting.

I have pulled the plug wires off on other cars while running to diagnose spark getting to the plug with no consequence. Could I have screwed something up when I pulled the wire with the engine running?

Could it be a coil, if so how do you check to replace?

Thanks so much for the help!
Old 05-29-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1999 Honda Civic Cranks but no Start

When I pull the plug, before I can even see if there is any spark, the engine just dies.

I try to restart the car, and now it will not restart.
It probably crapped the ignition coil when you pulled the wire off with the engine running.

So it probably needs a coil. Easy enough to test if you know what you're doing.

And then you will probably still have all the previous issues you were trying to fix.