Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Alternator dead - How hard to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slicer1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator dead - How hard to replace?

The alternator on my 99 Civic finally gave up the ghost on me.. So gonna replace it tomorrow. I watched some videos online and it looks like there is a VERY common issue of the one bolt getting stuck and needing to be drilled / beaten out.

How hard is it to replace these? looks like it's in a bastard location... Some people say you can go out from the top, other says the bottom. Which is easiest / best?
Old 04-14-2018
Registered!!

oneheadlight is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alternator dead - How hard to replace?

Originally Posted by Slicer1989
The alternator on my 99 Civic finally gave up the ghost on me.. So gonna replace it tomorrow. I watched some videos online and it looks like there is a VERY common issue of the one bolt getting stuck and needing to be drilled / beaten out.

How hard is it to replace these? looks like it's in a bastard location... Some people say you can go out from the top, other says the bottom. Which is easiest / best?
when I did mine it was from the bottom that I removed/installed. The one bolt wasn't too bad, soaked it in kroil penetrating oil. then tapped it out. Was a long process of installation but not complicated. Take your time and you'll be good.

curious.. how many miles did you get on that alternator? is it stock? (mitsubishi)
Old 04-14-2018
Registered!!

Slicer1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alternator dead - How hard to replace?

I'm not sure if it ever been replaced or not... but the car has 233k miles on it. The one bolt was stuck on, so we had to cut it off... But it's replaced now - If it weren't for the bolt, it wouldn't have taken long at all.
Old 04-16-2018
Registered!!

oneheadlight is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Alternator dead - How hard to replace?

Originally Posted by Slicer1989
I'm not sure if it ever been replaced or not... but the car has 233k miles on it. The one bolt was stuck on, so we had to cut it off... But it's replaced now - If it weren't for the bolt, it wouldn't have taken long at all.
hey thanks for the info.. yeah sounds like the original. Mine lasted until about 200k. It failed because of sloppy work by some mechanic who damaged the mounting bolt. The replacement (TYC) actually came with a test report that shows it puts out more amps at lower rpms than the factory! nice! But I did order two, got one from china and one from taiwan. The taiwan was much better quality so I kept that one. been working well for 5 years now.

glad you got yours replaced!