Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cheap Manifold Replacement D16Y7?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZachCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Cheap Manifold Replacement D16Y7?

2000 Honda Civic LX

we need to do the exhaust manifold because there's an obvious crack that didn't initially seal with JB Weld (I could have done a poor job). Anyway, we can't break the bank on this one... money's tight, but I told her this should be next on her list of repairs. Preferably under $50. I'm willing to redo the JB Weld, but I don't know how to get that **** off.

I haven't checked the local pick and pulls and I'm not looking to redo the entire exhaust because I assume that's going way over my total. As far as emissions goes, she's got tags till 2019 and we'll probably get rid of the car before then, however, I'd prefer if we didn't mess that up.

Is this possible? Any guidance?

PS for anyone following my old post, we've gone roughly 10,000 since the head gasket and associated parts (my first job) and just did her tie rods. Gotta thank this forum for the support.
Old 01-04-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,127 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Cheap Manifold Replacement D16Y7?

Call around to exhaust shops and see if someone will weld it?

Welding/buying a used one might cost around $50, however the cost may be more.

Junkyard and local buy and sell websites/groups are your best bet for used.

However since the cat is integral to the manifold some junkyards may already have the part removed and scrapped for the precious metal inside. Also buying a used manifold runs the risk of getting one with a bad cat (Code: P0420)

You can bolt on the factory y8 exhaust manifold, the cat is a different design and underneath the car, would have to get the manifold, cat, and modify your midpipe, then the 02 Sensor wiring would have to be extended (they make extension harnesses).

You can also buy a new aftermarket one for as cheap as $150 however they do not last very long.
Old 01-04-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply - I'll consider those options. The only thing is, I'm not savvy with exhaust work, I'm assuming aside from the O2 sensor and cat that it's as simple as making it fit without generating turbulence, but I'll try straight replacement options first. I've also heard that a lot of places refuse to weld this particular manifold because it cracks so frequently. Do you have a guess for how long a weld would last, assuming it was of average quality?

As far as the junkyard goes, I could probably bring a battery and check for the code assuming all wiring is good, right?
Old 01-04-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Salvage yard search: http://car-part.com/
Old 01-04-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Salvage yard search: http://car-part.com/
Thanks for the suggestion. I can't believe these manifolds are going for over $125 with 140k+ miles on them. They get maybe an average 40k of life left in them.
Old 01-04-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,127 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Please post in here if you are looking to buy a used manifold:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/81-wanted-parts-wtbs

Be sure to include your location, and how much you are willing to pay, you'll probably have to pay for shipping as well.

Originally Posted by ZachCivic
Thanks for the reply - I'll consider those options. The only thing is, I'm not savvy with exhaust work, I'm assuming aside from the O2 sensor and cat that it's as simple as making it fit without generating turbulence, but I'll try straight replacement options first. I've also heard that a lot of places refuse to weld this particular manifold because it cracks so frequently. Do you have a guess for how long a weld would last, assuming it was of average quality?
Weld might last years or a week, it's a bit of a gamble.
How bad is it cracked? Is it super noisy? I know up here for emissions as long as there isn't a really obvious problem and it isn't throwing codes it will generally pass.

Originally Posted by ZachCivic
As far as the junkyard goes, I could probably bring a battery and check for the code assuming all wiring is good, right?
Nope, once the battery is pulled the codes get erased after 15-20 mins, you'd be relying on the junkyard/seller to be honest, If its a junkyard you usually get a replacement warranty.