Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

VTEC Won't kick in

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sean_00Si is an unknown quantity at this point
VTEC Won't kick in

My '00 Si was running great, motor wise. My clutch ended up going out and had to replace the clutch, flywheel, etc.. I had one of my friends dad replace all that for me. He ordered the parts from RockAuto. He said they sent the wrong flywheel. We got another one sent out. Since replacing all the parts the VTEC won't "kick in". Would replacing the parts for an Is transmission with a "standard" civic flywheel effect the VTEC? I'm not very mechanically inclined, so this is a little reach for me without taking it to a shop. Other than the VTEC, everything seems to run fine.
Old 12-29-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: VTEC Won't kick in

did you check your oil level?
if its low vtec wont engage
Old 12-29-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Colin42
did you check your oil level?
if its low vtec wont engage
This!

Check your oil level, VTEC requires a certain oil pressure to engage and if it’s low it won’t have enough. This may not solve the problem but is the most likely culprit.
Old 12-29-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

If, our esteemed colleagues answers of low oil isn't the issue then maybe this read will help: http://my.prostreetonline.com/2014/1...c-doesnt-work/
Old 12-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sean_00Si is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolNat
This!

Check your oil level, VTEC requires a certain oil pressure to engage and if it’s low it won’t have enough. This may not solve the problem but is the most likely culprit.
Yes, I have to keep an eye on the oil regulatory anyhow. I do have a small oil leak. (it's coming out of the top of the block.) Like maybe a new gasket or seal needs to be replaced. But It's been on going for a while. As long as I kept up with my oil levels everything was good. It wasn't until after the transmission rebuild that this issue has come up. I know that the VTEC's power driver is the oil pressure. Since the rebuild it sounds like it wants to kick in, but it ultimately has a very puny blepppppp. Mostly just sounding like a normal high rev with no VTEC. My car sat for about year before doing the repairs. After that, it was 0 VTEC... I was thinking maybe the engine needed to kinda open back up after sitting, but still, ultimately nothing. My Si is the EM1 B16. Thoughts?
Old 12-30-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Megalodong
If, our esteemed colleagues answers of low oil isn't the issue then maybe this read will help: http://my.prostreetonline.com/2014/1...c-doesnt-work/
That’s a great article!

Did you read the article OP? Has some great things to check and because the sat for so long and you did a repair something may have come unplugged, degraded or is clogged.
Old 12-30-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

CEL on? Got fault codes?
If the VTEC is truly inoperative it will set a fault code.
Old 12-31-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Im going to guess that a ground was left off after the transmission was taken out. Especially check the ground from the front of the frame by the hood latch to the thermostat area. But also check the ground to the battery and the transmission. Make sure all ground related bolts are free of rust and that there was no new paint added over where a ground connects.

Also check to see if the solenoid is plugged in all the way; once I trouble shooted my car for an hour because I only half clipped an ignition coil in... which looked fully clipped, so I didn't bother checking it until I paniced for an hour, lol.

Last edited by mac25; 01-03-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-31-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I only half clipped an ignition coil in... which looked fully clipped
Whenever I do this it's something in an almost impossible to reach spot....or it was one of the first things plugged in so I gotta backtrack my work back to square one LOL
Old 01-03-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
Whenever I do this it's something in an almost impossible to reach spot....or it was one of the first things plugged in so I gotta backtrack my work back to square one LOL

Right?! lol