Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help please!!! D16y8 swap done issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dube.Mechanics is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Help please!!! D16y8 swap done issues

Hey, Im new to this forum, and I do not have a civic, I made this account for a friend who has a 1996 honda civic DX D17y8 and I had put a 1998 Honda civic EX D16y8 in it because the last one consumed oil. Now this motor runs good but driving is the issue now. it had been able to move but there was a seized caliper on it and he had tried to move it forcing after it with only 1 tire moving. So then we fixed the brakes and he had the idea to take it down the road. He had taken off in first, then shifted to second and then it gave out and it wont move in any gear, it still goes into gear just fine though, just wont move. I looked under the car while he tries to go and the cv shafts dont even turn. What could this be? could it be the splines on the cv shaft in the transmission, could it be the clutch? could it be the shift collar on the transmission? I am not sure what it could be but its definately driveline related. ID APPRECIATE ALL OF THE HELP I CAN GET!
Old 12-15-2017
Registered!!

Re: Help please!!! D16y8 swap done issues

Its a damn shame too cause it was a lot of work and it was almost ready till it kicked out like that. And I am not sure how it felt when it kicked out though, I was not in the car at the time
Old 12-15-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

moved to proper section.

double check that the axles are fully seated in the trans.
if you could get your buddy to describe what happened and post that here that would be a big help.
can you start the car? does it try to stall out when you release the clutch pedal like it's stuck in gear?
my buddy broke the shift linkage inside the trans in his car, that may have happened to your buddy.
can you get under the car and watch the sift linkage as someone tries to shift?
Old 12-15-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
moved to proper section.

if you could get your buddy to describe what happened and post that here that would be a big help.
can you start the car? does it try to stall out when you release the clutch pedal like it's stuck in gear?
my buddy broke the shift linkage inside the trans in his car, that may have happened to your buddy.
can you get under the car and watch the sift linkage as someone tries to shift?

No, the rpms dont even change when lets off the clutch. I will check the linkage too. Could it be that the cv shaft popped out
Old 12-15-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dube.Mechanics
No, the rpms dont even change when lets off the clutch. I will check the linkage too. Could it be that the cv shaft popped out
so its acting like its in neutral?

Originally Posted by Colin42
Old 12-15-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Inner CV joint popped out of the trans?
Doesn't take much to strand you.
Old 12-15-2017
Registered!!

Yes, it is acting like its always in neutral and now that I think of it the cv shaft must be popped out or something. But holy **** tho as if that can happen like that. when installing it I had twisted while pushing it in and I tapped the boot with the handle of a hammer. Is there a better way to seat it in so they wont pop out?
Old 12-16-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and I tapped the boot with the handle of a hammer.
That's a good way to cut the boot open.

I use the weight of the entire axle to shove itself in (slide hammer style) and lock the snap ring in place.....or use a mallet on the stub of the outer CV joint to drive the axle in. Sometimes it takes another person to hold the inner joint straight while I drive it in....

Then if there is any question, I might use my prybar to make sure the snap ring has it locked in place.