Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power front door locks not working - any guidance please?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lpozzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Power front door locks not working - any guidance please?

Hi All,

I have a 2000 Civic DX (sedan) with 117k miles and I have a power door lock issue that I am not able to resolve and I would truly value any guidance. I have checked both fuses (engine and interior), wires to/from door and tested multiple scenarios.

Here are the observations:

· I locked and unlocked doors with both the interior door switch and remote key unit (Honda OEM fab) and I got the same results
· Both (driver & passenger) front door locks do not lock or unlock
· Both rear doors locks work fine consistently from the switch and double clicking remote unit (unlock button)
· When using the key in the driver’s door to lock, all the locks will close except the passenger side
· When using the key in the driver’s door to unlock, only the driver’s side lock opens
· It seems that the door lock actuator does click when trying to lock/unlock doors

What should I test next? Could it be the control unit on the driver’s side kick panel area? How can I test the door lock actuators?

I would appreciate any guidance. Thanks so much! Louis
Old 12-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Power front door locks not working - any guidance please?

Sounds like maybe the power lock actuators for both front doors are weak/bad.
Old 12-10-2017
Registered!!

REXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura aboutREXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ezone
Sounds like maybe the power lock actuators for both front doors are weak/bad.
this
I had to replace both on my 01
they would work randomly to either lock or unlock

IIRC you could actually see the manual lock button try to move just the actuator didnt have the physical power to do the full cycle
Old 12-10-2017
Registered!!

Thanks so much for the recommendation. Is there a way to test the lock actuator to determine if it is bad?

What brand would you recommend? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I TEST for power and ground when the motor is commanded to run. I might use a voltmeter, I might use a test light. I might even use a bare #194 light bulb in a pinch.

If power and ground are found to be good and correct, then the conclusion is the lock actuator is faulty.

Genuine Honda parts FTW
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

I took the driver side door panel off and all the hardware looks clear of any jams. It does sound like the lock actuator may be bad.

I noticed that VDO and Dorman make a replacement OEM part. Do you have a recommended brand for the lock actuator so that it is a direct fit?
Old 12-12-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I used dorman ones on my gold '05 and they worked fine until I wrote the car off 50k later
Old 12-12-2017

Originally Posted by lpozzo
I took the driver side door panel off and all the hardware looks clear of any jams. It does sound like the lock actuator may be bad.
Did you test anything?

Do you have a recommended brand for the lock actuator so that it is a direct fit?
IMO:
Originally Posted by ezone
Genuine Honda parts FTW
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

I have a voltmeter but I don't know what to test. I see the connector where the actuator connection end connects to a main harness that also joins the wiring for the inside door lock switch on driver's side.

How should I test it and what values should I expect? I prefer to test before purchasing the parts. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2017
Registered!!

Shreck1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Test the connector at the actuator switch to see if it gets power when you hit the lock switch or the remote, it could also be the switch but I doubt that.
Get a good switch, don't go cheap because its a pain if you have to replace it again. Do it once. Get the Dorman.
Old 12-14-2017

How should I test it and what values should I expect?
Power lock motor uses 2 wires and runs on normal battery voltage (12v)

connect each lead of the voltmeter to each of those two wires

Activate power lock system using a main switch or remote fob

voltmeter should show battery voltage (either positive OR negative depending on which way it's wired and which way you pushed the buttons) but only during the brief moment the system tries to run the locks

You could connect (with jumper wires) 12v power and ground directly to each lock motor briefly in each direction to see if it will work too