Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

windshield wipers won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
musack is an unknown quantity at this point
windshield wipers won't turn off

I have a 1996 civic, and

My windshield wipers are stuck in the "on" mode, regardless of the position of the switch. It is stuck at medium speed in the off, intermittent, and medium speed positions, though it does enter maximum speed when set there.

Any suggestions?

And is there a quick way to disengage the whole system so that I can drive safely in dry weather until I fix the problem?
Old 11-28-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: windshield wipers won't turn off

There may be a fuse for just the wipers that you can pull, but there may be other things on the same circuit, Study the fuse diagram first. (Owner's manual, or on the fuse block covers). You could also try unplugging the wiper switch. You should also check that there isn't a short in the wiring, that could lead to bad things if it doesn't get fixed.
Old 11-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
musack is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Colin42, I found and removed the fuse and the wipers are disengaged so I can drive.

Still looking for suggestions as to how to ultimately fix the problem.
Old 11-28-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Could be the switch failed, or a short in the wires, or even something in the wiper motor
Old 11-28-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Park switch, integral to wiper motor possibly ??