Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 LX is hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyber72589 is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 LX is hard to start

Hello I'm new here and I'm having the same issue I turn my car on and I drive it around and when I get home and turn off the car I doesn't want to turn on. it sounds like it wants to but it doesn't it sounds like the car is choking on gas, i've replaced spark plugs, spark wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor and even fuel pump and car still does the same thing I really need help ASAP!!!
Old 11-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine cranks, no start, no codes

Originally Posted by Cyber72589
Hello I'm new here and I'm having the same issue I turn my car on and I drive it around and when I get home and turn off the car I doesn't want to turn on. it sounds like it wants to but it doesn't it sounds like the car is choking on gas, i've replaced spark plugs, spark wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor and even fuel pump and car still does the same thing I really need help ASAP!!!
Year, model, trim? Engine?
Old 11-26-2017
Registered!!

2000 Honda civic LX 1.6L
Old 11-26-2017
Registered!!

idk if it could be the ignition coil cause when the car finally turns on after 5 min of trying to start it, it smells like pure gas.
Old 11-26-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 LX is hard to start

Moved to a new thread because your car is a generation older than the thread you first posted in

Is it hard to start while the engine is hot? Is this an immediate restart hot, or do you have to wait a short period of time before it gets hard to start?

Is the check engine light on? Got codes?

Got a scanner or app with data list?

Does it start easier if you hold the gas pedal to the floor during cranking?
Old 11-26-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Moved to a new thread because your car is a generation older than the thread you first posted in

Is it hard to start while the engine is hot? Is this an immediate restart hot, or do you have to wait a short period of time before it gets hard to start?

Is the check engine light on? Got codes?

Got a scanner or app with data list?

Does it start easier if you hold the gas pedal to the floor during cranking?
to turn the car on in the morning I would have to keep turning the key until it starts but once it starts it smells like gas (starter is good did a check at autozone) once I drive the car for lets say 1-3hr or more I turn the car off for 5 min and go and try and turn it on, the car turns on on the first try but still sounds like its choking but if I leave the car off for about 30 min or so the car will sometimes drain my battery of how many times I try to turn it on and it doesn't and there is no check again light on.

Last edited by Cyber72589; 11-26-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2017
Registered!!

and when I try to turn it on it sounds like its about to turn on but when I let go of the gas pedal and the switch the car turns off. I keep thinking it might have to do with the ignition module or the ignition coil.
Old 11-27-2017
Registered!!

Need help ASAP!!
Old 11-27-2017

but when I let go of the gas pedal and the switch the car turns off.
Do you mean the engine just didn't start?

or do you mean the gauges and dash lights all turned off as though someone turned the key all the way back to off instead of 'run'?

If the latter, that's probably a bad ignition switch (electrical portion)
Old 11-27-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Do you mean the engine just didn't start?

or do you mean the gauges and dash lights all turned off as though someone turned the key all the way back to off instead of 'run'?

If the latter, that's probably a bad ignition switch (electrical portion)
Yeah i mean like the car is about to turn on and i let go so that way the car can turn on but instead of turning on it turns off(didnt start). Today i replaced the ignition coil and ignition Module and still the same thing. Could a bad Coolant Temperature Sensor also be the cause of this?

also the spark plugs are really wet with fuel and the spark plugs look really burnt

Last edited by Cyber72589; 11-27-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2017

Yeah
"Yeah" what? Which part of my questions gets this "yeah" answer?

i mean like the car is about to turn on and i let go so that way the car can turn on but
You really need to provide more details that "draw a clear picture" for the reader.
There's about 271 different things that have to happen, in order, before an engine will run on its own....and the more detailed observations you can provide, the better we can understand the issue. Sometimes video helps too.

also the spark plugs are really wet with fuel and the spark plugs look really burnt
Poor running/rich running can make the plugs black and sooty, even if they are new.

Could a bad Coolant Temperature Sensor also be the cause of this?
Flooding? Sure.
Be aware there are 3 different temperature sensors, only one of those is used by the computer.

If you had a scanner with datalist you could view exactly what the computer thinks the temp sensor is reading.
Old 11-28-2017
Registered!!

I fixed it!! I changed the Coolant Temp Sensor, spark plugs, PCV valve and took out the throttle body and cleaned it with carb cleaner and now it turns on like a champ!

Thanks and sorry for poor info im not good at this lol