Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Question about 3X3 atf change

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about 3X3 atf change

Originally Posted by Sactocivic
TPS pin 1 + 2 = 800 ohm. Pass
TPS pin 2 + 3 = 1,060 ohm. Fail. (Pass = +/- 4.5k)
I live test on the car, powered up, using voltages,
(almost) never ohm readings.

I adjust the sensor using voltage (set to 0.49v closed throttle), as displayed on my scanner
Old 10-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sactocivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it possible the factory has just become misadjusted? It is functioning, just not correctly reporting a closed throttle. It's voltage output is a smooth, steady rise as I open the throttle valve, it just never drops below about 2.5 vdc.
Old 10-17-2017
Registered!!

The BARO code is still present. I wonder, does the ecu use IAT, MAP, RPM and throttle position to calculate a barometric pressure value and compare it to the BARO sensor within the ecu? If so, that may explain the baro fault code. I'll find out when I replace the sensor, or when Ezone let's me know the ecu isn't That smart

I'll be back after the new tps is installed. BTW, I stopped at the junkyard just for grins. The TB was the same price as a new sensor, so I picked up a 2 pin male to make a trouble code plug hard loop instead of stealing all the old lady's Bobby pins and I got the 3 pin connector from the tps and map sensors to make it easier to test the sensor side. Free.99 Thank you junkyard checkout dude.
Old 10-17-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

I got the 3 pin connector from the tps and map sensors to make it easier to test the sensor side...Free.
Yep..I get junkyard parts free as well sometimes..they just somehow don't make it out of my pocket on checkout..lol..JK..I would never do that..wink,wink.

There's a few youtubes on TPS testing and adjusting.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 10-17-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2017
Registered!!

Amazing what havoc the tps can wreak on drivability!
All better now. Danger Zone tps dialed into .495vdc at idle and about 4.45 or so at wot.
All seems back to normal. Park lock solenoid back to normal, all ecu codes gone, drivability back to normal or better, BARO code gone, etc.
Thank you Ezone and Mega for the insight and tips. Thank you live data scan tool for showing me the tps signal was AFU. I would have been chasing perceived problems a lot longer had it not been for you guys and the proper diag. tool.

SactoCivic
Old 10-17-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

All better now. Danger Zone tps dialed into .495vdc at idle and about 4.45 or so at wot.
All seems back to normal. Park lock solenoid back to normal, all ecu codes gone, drivability back to normal or better, BARO code gone, etc.
Thank you Ezone and Mega for the insight and tips. Thank you live data scan tool for showing me the tps signal was AFU. I would have been chasing perceived problems a lot longer had it not been for you guys and the proper diag. tool.SactoCivic
Congrats..good to hear. I mostly provide comic relief (in my mind anyway) Ezone the 5-star general and there's a few other high ranking officers here that provide real support and knowledge..
Old 10-17-2017
Registered!!

Much, much better now! Just finished cleaning the car, my mess and myself and went for a drive. The tranny shifts a little more smoothly than it used to, and at wot on the highway it holds each gear longer than it used to. Around town it feels better too. Everything seems back to normal.
I was paranoid there for a bit because the tps decided to give up immediately after I changed the atf, and with it refusing to shift below 5-5.5k rpm, I could hear my dad's voice in my head, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!
Fortunately all those symptoms were the tps telling the car the throttle was at least 50% open All the time. Who knew the ecu wouldn't let you shift out of park if your foot was on the gas and brake at the same time? Though I've never tried to do that before, it now seems like a good safety feature, until the tps malfunctions and you need a screwdriver to get out of park
​​230,000 mi on the clock, atf fluid, tps, plugs, and a few other things have been done. Next up is a head gasket and crank oil seals. It leaks a little oil on the ground and a little combustion gas into the overflow bottle
Again, thanks everyone for the time and assistance! I think I'm all done sweating for now!
Old 10-18-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible the factory has just become misadjusted?
ONLY if someone managed to get those breakaway screws loosened so the TPS can move out of position. Or beat the hell out of it.
And if it did, then the max sensor WOT voltage would no longer be 4.5v.

So strike that theory.

Sensor failure. Replace.

I wonder, does the ecu use IAT, MAP, RPM and throttle position to calculate a barometric pressure value and compare it to the BARO sensor within the ecu? If so, that may explain the baro fault code. I'll find out when I replace the sensor, or when Ezone let's me know the ecu isn't That smart
See replies #19 and #28

The ECM compares the MAP and BARO sensors during certain periods of wide open throttle. So if your TPS is screwy and the PCM starts checking the sensors when conditions aren't really as it expected, then you get false BARO code.

Thank you Ezone and Mega for the insight and tips. Thank you live data scan tool for showing me the tps signal was AFU. I would have been chasing perceived problems a lot longer had it not been for you guys and the proper diag. tool.

SactoCivic
Oh boy, I'm late to the party!

So the TPS is the culprit for all the problems.....

Yea a good scanner in the hands of some people is a code reader....and wheel chock.
The same scanner can be a very valuable tool in the hands of someone who is willing to learn and understand what it shows.

Who knew the ecu wouldn't let you shift out of park if your foot was on the gas and brake at the same time?
I sure do know this.... But I don't recall reading that symptom in this thread though?
Old 10-18-2017

230,000 mi on the clock: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!
There's differing opinions on this when it comes to ATF changes. Some say on high mileage cars it's not worth the risk to do an ATF drain and fill (and certainly not a machine flush) if the last D&F service is unknown, never performed, or more than 70k miles. https://www.google.com/search?q=risk....0.4yhlc6LUp1I

Who knew the ecu wouldn't let you shift out of park if your foot was on the gas and brake at the same time?
Well, since you can't do rear wheel smoking tires burnouts/doughnuts in a front wheel drive car I guess Honda engineers figured they would penalize anyone who tries it.
Old 10-18-2017

Originally Posted by megalodong
there's differing opinions on this when it comes to atf changes. Some say on high mileage cars it's not worth the risk to do an atf drain and fill (and certainly not a machine flush) if the last d&f service is unknown, never performed, or more than 70k miles.
BS.

Flushes with chemicals can hurt the trans.
Simple drain and fill won't hurt anything that wasn't already a problem in the first place.
Fluid breaks down with time/miles/heat and needs to be replenished. Failure to do this just speeds up the eventual demise of the trans.

Most of the motoring public never thinks about trans service until AFTER it starts acting unusual or completely wrong....and by that time it's usually too late.
Jizzy Lube places write those disclaimers to cover their asses after the freshly serviced yet severely neglected transmissions with problems finally fail completely and the idiot owner tries to blame (sue) the last one to touch it.

Last edited by ezone; 10-18-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
b.s.
I didn't create that internet opinion..just posted a link to them.

Last year I did get a scare while changing ATF on my daughters then '02 Solara. Foolish me thought I wouldn't have to replace the filter if I just disconnected the atf return line and let it pump out (engine on) while I added new. A previously bad hard shift turned into a abnormal delayed shift. I ended it up doing a proper D&F (has a differential drain bolt too) including filter replacement and it shifted smooth for a few days and then reverted back to hard shifts but abnormal delay was no longer present. She sold the car soon after.
Old 10-18-2017

A previously bad hard shift
back to hard shifts
Trans already had a problem, fluid service made no difference?
I didn't create that internet opinion..just posted a link to them.
I know. The opinion is still BS, IMHO.

It originates from the disclaimers that JizzyLube places make people sign before doing a trans fluid flush, which the lawyers dreamed up strictly to avoid having to pay for endless transmission repairs. This is strictly a legal issue. It has no basis in real mechanical function and maintenance.

Take it one step further....many vehicle manufacturers these days don't even recommend servicing their transmissions until 100,000 miles, or even longer (some even claim 'lifetime' fill).
Since that's far beyond the opined 70k miles, should fluid service never ever be completed as per the manufacturers' maintenance schedule?

New fluid > old dirty worn out contaminated fluid.
Old 10-18-2017

JizzyLube
LOL.

Take it one step further....many vehicle manufacturers these days don't even recommend servicing their transmissions until 100,000 miles, or even longer (some even claim 'lifetime' fill).
Since that's far beyond the opined 70k miles, should fluid service never ever be completed as per the manufacturers' maintenance schedule?
New fluid > old dirty worn out contaminated fluid.
Yes. That comes up in the discussions as well.
Old 10-18-2017
Registered!!

Oh boy, I'm late to the party!

I sure do know this.... But I don't recall reading that symptom in this thread though?
In #8, but I was confused by seemingly unrelated symptoms at the time.

I do a Lot of test and troubleshooting work in the communications industry for a living and understand the importance of being patient and methodical when approaching a problem, I just don't have any experience with the civic itself, though I've worked on cars as a hobby for a long time.
Again, thanks to everyone for the assistance and the comedic relief
Thanks Ezone for your help and experience.
Methodological approach works like magic, as usual
Old 10-18-2017

In #8, but I was confused by seemingly unrelated symptoms at the time.
I guess I completely missed that post and clue. Damn. Sorry bout that