Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help me understand please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda1997 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help me understand please!

I have a 1997 Honda Civic EX and a couple of days ago my car started acting weird. I can crank my car and put it in drive and it will go, but it comes to a stop by itself if I get off the gas pedal. I have to push the gas all the way down if I want to go in reverse. When I put it in neutral I can not roll the car back or forward on my own, it won't move. I know its not my transmission because I had it checked out and it's a new transmission. I've been told something can be clogged, my rear end have locked up or the gear lever have came unloose under the hood. Can you help me figure out what's the actual problem, please?
Old 10-04-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Help me understand please!

It should roll in neutral.

-Jack it up
-keep the wheels on
-with the park brake off, in neutral, rotate the wheels by hand.
-if you can not then a brake caliper is seized.

Other than that, it sounds like a transmission issue, because you mentioned it will not roll in neutral; or, a fuel delivery issue.

Test the calipers first like I mentioned, then rent a fuel pressure gauge and verify that you are getting enough pressure at idle.
Old 10-04-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Pull the transmission dipstick and check fluid level, color....and SMELL.
Old 10-15-2017
Registered!!

Okay so I jacked my car up Thursday to see was all the tires rotating correctly. All were rotating except my passenger back side tire. So I didn't drive the car at all but here is the tricky part. I had a mechanic to come out Saturday to look at my 97 Honda civic and it was driving normal all tires were rotating correctly. I'm still confused on what could have been the problem. Any help on that?
Old 10-15-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I had a mechanic to come out
Did you explain what the cars problem is and ask him to check that out?
Or did you just tell the guy to check if all the tires spin?

If it drives like a normal car when someone checks it out, they won't realize it's got a problem.

You might need to do whatever it takes to make it act up so they can witness, verify and understand your complaints, then they can go about figuring out why.
Old 10-15-2017
Registered!!

310civicEX is an unknown quantity at this point

e-break pulls up and down and feels normal?
Old 10-17-2017
Registered!!

@ezone, Yes I Explained Everything. The Mechanic Said It Could’ve Been An Air Bubble

@310civicEX Yes My Break Works Fine &’ Feels Normal.
Old 10-17-2017

but it comes to a stop by itself if I get off the gas pedal. I have to push the gas all the way down if I want to go in reverse. When I put it in neutral I can not roll the car back or forward on my own, it won't move
Had you been driving quite a while before this happened? Was it a hot day?
Has someone dumped some sort of oil in the brake reservoir?

If or when it does this again (drags you to a stop) while you've been out driving around, get out and feel each wheel--see if any are screaming hot, maybe even with visible smoke. If brakes have been dragging hard enough to make the car stop by itself --there's going to be friction and heat involved, and you can start by figuring which wheels (brakes) are affected and go from there..

For comparison purposes: check this after it's been driving around without a drag problem, after driving around and parking it, get out and feel each wheel to see how much heat the brakes put off in a normal driving/stopping situation.
Old 10-22-2017
Registered!!

310civicEX is an unknown quantity at this point

wheel bearing?