Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cel i just did tune-up misfire on all cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eager2learn is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Cel i just did tune-up misfire on all cylinders

i found this site...i think i messed up my relay...

http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html
Old 09-04-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It seems you aren't gaining ground on the problem.

When you first flip the key to on, make sure the check engine light comes on before you crank it.

I would try to figure out what's missing at the moment it doesn't start right away. That means I rig up a way to monitor, to see if it's missing spark or fuel from the drivers seat whenever it doesn't start.

A standard inductive timing light wrapped around a spark plug wire is enough to see if spark is still present.

A test light stabbed somewhere into the fuel pump control would tell if the pump is being turned on or not, but that can't tell you if the injectors are being pulsed like they are supposed to, but watching the pump is at least a starting point.
Old 09-05-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

When you first flip the key to on, make sure the check engine light comes on before you crank it.

I would try to figure out what's missing at the moment it doesn't start right away. That means I rig up a way to monitor, to see if it's missing spark or fuel from the drivers seat whenever it doesn't start.

A standard inductive timing light wrapped around a spark plug wire is enough to see if spark is still present.

A test light stabbed somewhere into the fuel pump control would tell if the pump is being turned on or not, but that can't tell you if the injectors are being pulsed like they are supposed to, but watching the pump is at least a starting point.
....so what you are saying is my soldering job is fine and my relay is okay?
Old 09-05-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

....so what you are saying is my soldering job is fine and my relay is okay?
Doesn't it still run? LOL

I can't evaluate your solder job from my recliner.

Testing is for figuring out why something doesn't work.

You need to understand how it's supposed to work in order to come up with your own tests (Otherwise, it's best to follow a service manual).
It also helps to understand how and why things work together, tests can be modified accordingly.

If I have to test operation of a relay like that, I test the outputs to evaluate if the relay is doing what it's supposed to do........ and if it is not then I test the inputs to help figure out why not.

That's why I said I would rig up a way to monitor some things from the drivers seat as a starting point. Then wait for it to act up.
Old 09-06-2017
Registered!!

for spark and fuel....i'm gonna crank it via starter and leave a screwdriver inside the plug tube to see if i have spark in the tube...

for fuel...im gonna unbolt the fuel rail thing and put the hose inside an empty water bottle and crank via starter see if i get fuel...

for fuel pump...im gonna ***** a whole inside the ground wire on the fuel pump and stick it with my test light....

then im gonna replace my pgm fi main relay w/ a used one off ebay because i think i messed it up with my globs of solder....maybe i should replace the pgm fi main relay first....lol
Old 09-06-2017

Originally Posted by eager2learn
for spark and fuel....i'm gonna crank it via starter and leave a screwdriver inside the plug tube to see if i have spark in the tube...

for fuel...im gonna unbolt the fuel rail thing and put the hose inside an empty water bottle and crank via starter see if i get fuel...

for fuel pump...im gonna ***** a whole inside the ground wire on the fuel pump and stick it with my test light....
I thought this was a problem that happens without warning, leaves you stranded for a half hour or so.
You expect to do all this after you find out it's not going to start on the first try?
By yourself?
From the drivers seat?

Also, you can probably skip at least one of those steps.
One of those you better not even try while doing the other. You could blow yourself up.

then im gonna replace my pgm fi main relay w/ a used one off ebay because i think i messed it up with my globs of solder....maybe i should replace the pgm fi main relay first....lol
Maybe.
I would not bother with a used one.
Old 09-06-2017
Registered!!

I thought this was a problem that happens without warning, leaves you stranded for a half hour or so.
You expect to do all this after you find out it's not going to start on the first try?
By yourself?
From the drivers seat?

Also, you can probably skip at least one of those steps.
One of those you better not even try while doing the other. You could blow yourself up.

Maybe.
I would not bother with a used one.
yeah it happens w/out warning but im doing it in my driveway so

i was gonna do it by myself via jump starting my start at the terminal...

oldskool funk did it on youtube here

but i am getting fuel...my car still starts and runs but sometimes it starts up really funny...im gonna snap a vid hold on ...
Old 09-10-2017
Registered!!

Okay im back with videos

From 9/6/17 - 9/9/17 I did some testing to replicate my issue.
My steps were as follow:
1. Go to my car
2. Start it
3. If starts normal than drive around the block until engine warms up going 15-20mph for 5-10 minutes
4. Drive home. Park. Turn off car. Turn back on to see if issue comes on

Summary:
NO ISSUES WHAT THE F#&#*!!

(Awkward) Video logs of 9/6-9/9 tests.

THEN ON 9/10/17...Sunday! IT DECIDES TO GIVE ME ISSUES!

My steps were as follows:
1. Decided to run errands today
2. Drove 5 minutes going 35mph to local supermarket
3. Parked
4. Spent 5 minutes in supermarket
5. Went back to car to start....this happened:
I cranked it. I mashed the gas pedal. Nothing.
6. Tried again 10 minutes later:
Nothing
7. Waited another 10 minutes then tried again:
Still nothing.
8. Waited 1 hour at local book store to let my car cool down then I tried again:
It had trouble starting up so I gave it a little gas and it brought my car back to life!
9. Drove home going 35mph through city w/ red lights, stop and go traffic for ~5min. Parked. Turned off car. Turned back on and...it starts up normally....
10. I decided to simulate me shopping 5m by waiting and going back to turn my car on. It tried to give me some issues so I gave it some gas and it brought my car to life.

CONCLUSION:
My car is picking on me. It only fails when I'm away from home doing errands but when I'm at home it behaves normally.

I'm...I don't know....is it the PGM-FI MAIN RELAY? I'll drop $50 for a new one ASAP cuz I have an exam on monday..tmrw LOL fudgeruckers....
Old 09-10-2017
Registered!!

my recliner.

Dude you must be wealthy. No way u r Honda janitor. More like engineer.
Old 09-10-2017

I'm...I don't know....is it the PGM-FI MAIN RELAY?
No way to tell without testing. The videos don't do much for diagnosing at this point.......about all I can gather is that the starter still works and you already know that much.

As I said before, you're gonna need to figure out what's missing (or wrong) while it doesn't start.
Spark or fuel.

Then after you figure out which one isn't right, track down why.

You could get a can of carb and throttle cleaner spray (FLAMMABLE) and when it won't start you whip the lid off the air breather and open the throttle by hand, spritz a 2 second shot of the stuff into the open throttle--then immediately run around and crank it, see if the engine makes any sounds like it tries to fire on that spray.

(that would suggest it still has spark but fuel is missing, if it's trying to run on the carb spray)

Dude you must be wealthy. No way u r Honda janitor. More like engineer.
Sanitation engineer.
And on the days I water the plants and greenery, I'm the plant manager.

Truth: I didn't buy it. I inherited this recliner when my last grandparent passed away.
Old 09-11-2017
Registered!!

I inherited this recliner when my last grandparent passed away.
Is it a La-Z-Boy?
Old 09-11-2017
Registered!!

OKAY FOUND OUT MY ISSUE THANKS TO MY LOCAL NEIGHBORHOOD MECHANIC PHIL.

I went out to turn on my car this morning and it started normally. I turned it off to go back inside and Phil yelled out, "IT'S YOUR HEADERS BRO!"

He caught me by surprise so I said, "huh?"

He said there's white smoke coming out my tail pipe.

I turned my car back on and sure enough it was smoking like a chimney.

I checked my oil cap and yup...chocolate milk smudges...my headgasket is blown =D

Thanks for the helps guys.

Old 09-11-2017

I checked my oil cap and yup...chocolate milk smudges...my headgasket is blown =D
No, not yet. Milky smears in the oil cap can be ok. Especially on an engine that isn't on the highway for extended periods or does a lot of short trips.

If you pull the dipstick and see chocolate milkshake, that's bad....and damn rare even if it does blow the head gasket, because the 6th gen usually does exactly like the 7th gens when it goes.

What does the smoke SMELL like?
Does it smell like oil (maybe lawnmower exhaust or 2 stroke exhaust), or does it smell like antifreeze (sickeningly sweet)?

My truck has some stuck oil rings, if I do things just wrong it could fog out a city block. It's just oil smoke LOL
Old 09-12-2017
Registered!!

No, not yet. Milky smears in the oil cap can be ok. Especially on an engine that isn't on the highway for extended periods or does a lot of short trips.

If you pull the dipstick and see chocolate milkshake, that's bad....and damn rare even if it does blow the head gasket, because the 6th gen usually does exactly like the 7th gens when it goes.

What does the smoke SMELL like?
Does it smell like oil (maybe lawnmower exhaust or 2 stroke exhaust), or does it smell like antifreeze (sickeningly sweet)?

My truck has some stuck oil rings, if I do things just wrong it could fog out a city block. It's just oil smoke LOL
You want me to sniff carbon monoxide gas?

Okay I did. It took a while for the white smoke to come out but it smells like...well it didn't smell like my lawn mower that's for sure.

Also the oil dipstick. It wasn't clear evidence of chocoloate milk smudge but I did see air bubbles stuck in the sludge.

Did I also mention I had to refill my coolant overflow reservoir tank every-time I take it for a drive?

U have the coolest toys.
Old 09-12-2017

You want me to sniff carbon monoxide gas?
Smell the smoke, not huff it like gold spray paint.

Okay I did. It took a while for the white smoke to come out but it smells like...well it didn't smell like my lawn mower that's for sure.
What DOES it smell like?

Antifreeze smells sickeningly sweet when it's burned....... Like maybe an Aunt Jemima factory on fire.

but I did see air bubbles stuck in the sludge.
That can be typical sometimes too.

Did I also mention I had to refill my coolant overflow reservoir tank every-time I take it for a drive?
First I remember hearing about it. That's some damn handy information when you think you have a head gasket problem.

You can check out the overheating common causes thread for more checks.

U have the coolest toys.
If you never get married and never have kids, you can get toys before you're too old to have fun with them
Wish I had realized that when I was 21.
Old 09-13-2017
Registered!!

If you never get married and never have kids, you can get toys before you're too old to have fun with them
Wish I had realized that when I was 21.
LOL! mind if i retweet this

ill chekc the other stuff out after i fix my other car...something wrong wit the clutch someone helpin me with it in another thread

Last edited by eager2learn; 09-13-2017 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-13-2017

LOL! mind if i retweet this
May as well just use this pic instead

Name:  chSgQ.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  112.0 KB

ill chekc the other stuff out after i fix my other car...something wrong wit the clutch someone helpin me with it in another thread
Um, that's me and I guess I didn't realize that's not the same car as this one...