Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission issue? Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SilverScyth is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission issue? Maybe?

Hello, thank you for taking time to look into my issue.
I recently purchased a 1999 Civic DX coupe (relatively great condition).
Changed oil, checked fluids, checked for codes, safety check, and had to get a few odds n ends fixed. The issue to resolve now is an intermittent "jerking" sensation when I start to accelerate from stopping at stop signs and a ever so slight hesitation when on hills. I have to preface this with - NO - I'm not a young kid hot ******* the car or trying to pop wheelies. When I had the minor odds n ends taken care of at a shop, I asked them to look over the car and even did a test drive with the mechanic- ofcourse it wouldn't do it when I was trying to have it repaired. Sometimes it feels like it gets stuck changing gears between 2/3 (its an auto w/ a completely stock D16Y7).
YES! I've used some google-fu, found possible issues like MAPS, TPS, IACV, motor mounts or even TB issues, none of which was brought up - by said reliable shop Wanted to get opinions or previous experiences from others in the community. Thank you again- look forward to hearing from you all.
Old 03-22-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Transmission issue? Maybe?

Test the motor mounts: car in forward gear, brake pedal depressed, parking brake on, have helper watch engine rise or operate car. Also, do in reverse gear. Look and listen for excessive engine rise, metallic tapping.

Also, the locations where the bends in the throttle cable are attached to mounts can possibly bind the throttle cable and effect smooth throttling on acceleration and deceleration. Try unmounting the throttle cable and drive it some to see if helps. If it does then try prying the cable mounts open a bit and remount cable.

Any idle issues?
Old 03-23-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and even did a test drive with the mechanic- ofcourse it wouldn't do it
If you can't demonstrate your concern, that makes is pretty damn tough for anyone to fully understand and find a problem.

Seeing as how you yourself could not reproduce your complaint, I wouldn't waste much time on your complaint if it drove 'fine' for me on a test drive.

The line I write on the work order is "Unable to verify complaint {job # of complaint}. Customer must demonstrate their concern."
Then, "Customer unable to demonstrate complaint. No repair at this time."

none of which was brought up - by said reliable shop
You using google to come up with a shopping list of possible parts to replace without having any idea whether or not they could actually be related to your problem doesn't help anything.
Old 03-23-2017
Registered!!

First, Thank You turd_ferguson, I'll look into that- hopefully its not colder than a witches teet tomorrow.

Next- I want to get this straight- some people complain that people don't research or use google... THEN... when someone does research their issue -then asks for RELEVANT THOUGHTS or a 2nd pair of eyes that might have experience with the same issue...... apparently it's better not to have insight but to spout off and complain about a "shopping list"?!? Seriously...? I mean... it's cool you like to hear yourself talk but don't talk down to people. It's uncouth- dare I say, disrespectful.

The shop did their job, perfectly. They even referred me to a transmission shop if I want to have it investigated further. Just figured I'd pose the problem here and elaborate on what has been done thus far- instead of not filling in the blanks; as many folks do on forums.
Old 03-23-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Since we have little to nothing to help give suggestions I will put this out there. It might be brakes that are binding. Slow to release brakes will cause a hesitation upon accelerating from a dead stop.

Could take a video of trouble behavior and post it for us. Does the tach flare rpms whilst shifting? How does it drive at other times? Smooth and steady at highway speeds?

Awhile back I had a customer bring in an accord with a complaint of the rpm fluctuates. They were not complaining of the check engine light or that fact that the auto trans shift lever was completely missing its detents. The co-worker that drove it in for me didn't even mention the shifter. I expected a p505 as that was common on those cars. I couldn't take the car for a test drive....the trans completely let go on the lot. I coasted back onto the lot and parked it, walked away from the car laughing. The customer could not describe his problem at all and he drove it there with a trans that would randomly stop pulling the car. The best part, he thought the $4000 estimate to repair a $2500 car was too steep and he drove the car away.

Technicians need to experience a problem to know how to proceed, and forumers need lots of info as well.
Old 03-23-2017
Registered!!

Mcnoople, thank you- I'm wondering if taking it to the transmission shop and letting it over night will help. The issue seems to be most relative when the vehicle is cold. The test drive happened after the car had been running 20 mins or so.
Old 03-23-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The vagueness of your symptom descriptions leads to a wide range of possibilities....the "wide net" effect.
The description of "jerking" will mean different things to different people, based upon their personal background and experiences.
Many different problems could occur in a car that could all produce the same "jerking" description as well. Greater detail is needed.

Your most recent post saying "when the vehicle is cold"...that is valuable info to a troubleshooter. A troubleshooter needs all sorts of critical details that most casual observers (non-technical people) don't normally pay attention to.
The more pertinent details you can provide, the more we can attempt to narrow down or eliminate various areas, systems, or items from the list of possibilities....or toss the list aside completely.

You say the car needs to be cold, so leaving the car at the shop outside overnight makes perfect sense, so someone can have a better chance of experiencing your issue in the morning.....but maybe you should also be present during the cold test drive with the tech, to point out all of your various concerns.

intermittent "jerking" sensation when I start to accelerate from stopping at stop signs and a ever so slight hesitation when on hills.
I could speculate this to be completely unrelated to your transmission or any sensors. It might simply be intermittent ignition related misfire, which is usually easily duplicated if observed conditions are matched. However, this was not duplicated during your demonstration....so should it be mentioned, or not?

Can you recognize and identify a misfire condition? (Many different non-technical people might come up with several different descriptions or words for the exact same issue.)

What are your observations as to when is this problem most likely to occur?
Cold, damp morning? Problem disappears as the engine warms up and the day gets warmer?
How about at 4PM after the sun has been shining on the car in the parking lot all day?
Sometimes it feels like it gets stuck changing gears between 2/3
Can you describe, in detail, the sequence of events that takes place when this "gets stuck" occurs? Does the engine RPM flare up in the middle of the 2-3 gear change, instead of RPM smoothly dropping as 3rd gear is being engaged?
Old 03-24-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SilverScyth
Mcnoople, thank you- I'm wondering if taking it to the transmission shop and letting it over night will help. The issue seems to be most relative when the vehicle is cold. The test drive happened after the car had been running 20 mins or so.
Taking a car to a transmission shop frequently results in a transmission getting replaced. Sometimes it is even what the car needed changed. Personally I always suggest taking it to a dealer. They have the information and tools needed to properly diagnose and repair honda vehicles. The diagnostic check out fee varies from dealer to dealer, but I would suspect that it would be in the $100-150 range. The amount of money that can be spent on throwing parts at a car is mind boggling. Having a shop that is willing to stand behind their diagnosis is worth more than you can possible imagine. Having a relationship with your local dealership can benefit you in the long run.
Old 03-24-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Next- I want to get this straight- some people complain that people don't research or use google... THEN... when someone does research their issue -then asks for RELEVANT THOUGHTS or a 2nd pair of eyes that might have experience with the same issue...... apparently it's better not to have insight but to spout off and complain about a "shopping list"?!? Seriously...? I mean... it's cool you like to hear yourself talk but don't talk down to people. It's uncouth- dare I say, disrespectful.

The shop did their job, perfectly. They even referred me to a transmission shop if I want to have it investigated further. Just figured I'd pose the problem here and elaborate on what has been done thus far- instead of not filling in the blanks; as many folks do on forums.

LOL!
both are great mechanics! whatever you feel, thicken your skim

Ezone solved and have forgotten more stuff than i know, as long as someone gives enough info.

therefore, chill down, leave your hurt behind aside (puffing chests in internet will take you nowhere unless you have unparalleled skills - which these two have), thicken your skin and supply the information requested.

with enough information, those two will solve your issues. mcnopple and ezone included. but you will need to have the humility to listen to their wisdom.

so, stop crying and start singing for them to solve your problem.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-24-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2017
Registered!!

First, My apologies to anyone that might have been following this thread- I've been laid up. I had surgery about 3 weeks ago- and haven't been able to do much.

Ezone - I haven't been able to drive so I can't relay any new info. Once the pins are out of my toes I might be able to actually drive again lol. Will do a better follow up when that time comes.

Mcnoople - I won't mind replacing the transmission IF that is the actual problem. I don't want to throw parts and money at something that is not broken. I've just been narrowing down the possibilities- based on what I do know. Auto-tech class can only teach you so much - and people can only remember so much over a 15 year gap amiright? The ONE thing I LOATHE is transmission related anything. Rebuilding an engine? no problem. Rebuild/repair a transmission?.... F THAT. Where's the shop? How long before its done? lol

Last edited by ezone; 04-18-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

sdaidoji -
again, recommend thicker skin.

hope you are recovering well from surgery - I myself had one last year, 1 1/2 week on ICU, so i understand that pain.

back to original programming.

let them know when you drive it again and if it still poses a problem, take notes of what they asked about.

hope that gets solved as well (truly)

Last edited by ezone; 04-18-2017 at 06:45 PM.