Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ecu swap error

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whiteek is an unknown quantity at this point
Ecu swap error

So my brother has a 1999 honda civic and the other day he was driving and out of nowhere it died. We changed the fuel pump and distributor. Still nothing. I then removed the spark plugs and they were wet from all the failed starting attempts. They looked old and were even missing all the points. opened the oil cap and the cam is still spinning so timing belt is still intact. it turns over just not starting. Fuel pressure is good.

I have a 1997, also 5 speed coupe, nothing ever wrong with it. I pulled the engine and changed all the sensors in dec. New dizzy and fuel pump as well. The car has never gave me any problems so i had the bright idea of swapping the ecu's
Bad idea. i removed his and disconnected my battery and hooked up his to my 97 and hooked up the battery. Boom is started fine like always. i let it idle for a while . I did see the engine light come on but since i didn't have my scanner i did hook it up. After a while, i turned off and disconnected battery and removed his ecu and hooked up the 97 original back up. The car did crank and turned on for about 5 seconds and then it died. Now it will not turn on and does the same that the 1999 does

Anybody ever been through this??