Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1999 Civic HX Window Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greg Philley is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 Civic HX Window Issue

Okay....my passenger window will not close and seal fully......the window motor is still strong and rolls the window up and down no problem.....it just getting to the top and where it should seal, it makes a "kunk kunk kunk" noise and leaves about a 1/4 inch of it not sealed.....I play with it and I can get it to about an 1/8 inch but here's my question before I tear my door panel off......

Is this a tracking issue or is it the motor......do I need to lubricate the track or is there a band that might have a stretched hole that is causing this not to close properly??? I want to keep the cost low if I can......can someone give me some insight before I tear into this issue.......what is causing this???

Thank You
Old 02-19-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: 1999 Civic HX Window Issue

2 door or 4 door car. I remember the regulator being completely different designs between coupe and sedan. I remember the coupe having an old fashion scissor type reg that can strip gears to cause the symptoms you are describing.

When the window stops can you manually lift it the rest of the way closed?
Old 02-19-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

For lack of a pic of a real Honda regulator, I found this on a goggle search... Shows the stripped teeth on a basic scissors type window regulator

Name:  regulator_howto_009.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  86.2 KB
Old 02-19-2016
Registered!!

It's a coupe.......and no, I cannot lift it the rest of the way up..........with the motor, it closes 99% of the way except that 1/4 inch at the top.....I got stupid one day and put my hand in the gap before I closed it and it seemed to make the gap worse.......it rolls down and up just fine still.....just doesn't seal at the top and makes that sound and I gotta play with it to get the least gap possible rolled up.........any suggestions???
Old 02-19-2016
Registered!!

wow.....just saw the pic.......it gives me something to look for now.......that was awesome for a visual.......that sounds like the issue.......but if you got more up your sleeve, throw it at me!!!!.........that pic makes sense though!!!!
Old 02-19-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said that wasn't a pic of a Honda unit, yours will be quite different once you can see it. I just grabbed the first pic I found with stripped teeth.
Yours would probably look more like this once you can see it

You will most likely need to take it all the way out of the door to see the stripped teeth too.
Maaaybe you could use a mirror and flashlight to see something, but I don't remember ever trying that.