Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help with 97 Civic EX manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EdtheChipmunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with 97 Civic EX manual

Okay so I bought a 2 door civic ex. I replaced the Clutch because it was beyond bad. It ran fine for a few days and then the Slave clutch cylinder blew so I replaced Both the Master and the Slave clutch Cylinder. Now, It will run but wont go anywhere. By that I mean the gears are there but I have no Pick up from 1st through 5th. For example I took it on the highway and it took me two exits to get to 55 mph. Reverse seems like it's a little high on the RPM side but it seems to work fine. So I ask what could possibly cause this?

Before I forget, I noticed that when I start the car and put it in first, then take my foot off the clutch it continues to run even though it should stall out. What would cause that to happen?

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated. At this point I'm completely at a loss. I was thinking possibly the linkage, but if it was the linkage it wouldn't be able to be put in gear right?
Old 06-19-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Help with 97 Civic EX manual

Almost sounds like the clutch is slipping really bad. Popping the clutch should cause it to stall so if it's not its is almost like it is not engaging.

When the clutch is pressed does it go into gear smoothly?
Old 06-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EdtheChipmunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help with 97 Civic EX manual

It shifts smoothly. Doesn't feel hard in anyway. Yesterday I was shifting gears with 1 finger. It just doesn't seem like it wants to go anywhere. I have no burning clutch smell. However when I shift into first gear or any gear for that matter it revs high. In some cases close to 7k. Like I said in the above post it just doesn't want to go anywhere. Doesn't matter how much gas i give it.