Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

driveshaft blew 98 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
purplehatch is an unknown quantity at this point
driveshaft blew 98 coupe

Hi there, I have a 98 civic dx coupe auto. I knew my Cv joint started clicking bad when turning left, Anyways I went to back out of my spot yesterday and put in reverse and heard a clank noise and car no longer moved in any gear. I instantly put in neutral and shut it off. I turned wheel and the Cv axle diveshaft piece was super loose. I purchased a new diveshaft axle with boots and everything. Can someone give me pointers on how to change this out? It's on drivers side. It -10 in Ontario so I wanna do it quick as my car is in visitors and needs to move by Monday before I get tickets!

Any help is much apprecjated! Thanks
Old 01-11-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: driveshaft blew 98 coupe

Take off wheel cover (probably have to remove lug nut and replace) With car on ground, beat back the lock nut and loosen it on the ground. Jack car and place jack stand. Remove wheel and center axle nut. Remove carter key on lower ball joint and loosen nut but just past thread flush. (run in and warm up) Now jack under rotor to raise car to put tension on it. Tap on side and it will pop off. There is a real cool YouTube video on breaking this just by letting weight down on a wedge. Once free, carefully raise up lower knuckle and you will see axle slide back. Now slide under car and where the big end goes into transmission, take a large screw driver and carefully slide it in and with one easy lever action, pop the axle out of transmission. Only thing that hold it is a split ring on the end of the axle spline back in there. Long as you have the side you are working on, oil will not run out. (run in and warm up) Now put it back together. Make sure you correctly tighten balljoint nut, replace carter and the axle nut and recrimp. Now go on youtube and search and you will find the best way. However, on the street and -10 sucks. Fill for you. Don't know how you boys stand it up there. It's 44 here and I am heading south next week.
Old 01-11-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Take off wheel cover (probably have to remove lug nut and replace) With car on ground, beat back the lock nut and loosen it on the ground. Jack car and place jack stand. Remove wheel and center axle nut. Remove carter key on lower ball joint and loosen nut but just past thread flush. (run in and warm up) Now jack under rotor to raise car to put tension on it. Tap on side and it will pop off. There is a real cool YouTube video on breaking this just by letting weight down on a wedge. Once free, carefully raise up lower knuckle and you will see axle slide back. Now slide under car and where the big end goes into transmission, take a large screw driver and carefully slide it in and with one easy lever action, pop the axle out of transmission. Only thing that hold it is a split ring on the end of the axle spline back in there. Long as you have the side you are working on, oil will not run out. (run in and warm up) Now put it back together. Make sure you correctly tighten balljoint nut, replace carter and the axle nut and recrimp. Now go on youtube and search and you will find the best way. However, on the street and -10 sucks. Fill for you. Don't know how you boys stand it up there. It's 44 here and I am heading south next week.
LOL! -10 is nothing it was -38 yesterday when I had to push it home lol
Old 01-12-2015
Registered!!

Alright! So. Me and my buddy went out in -32 today and changed out the driveshaft cv axle with boots thing. Car fired up transmission is great again! One problem there is now a massive alignment issue! Basically ill drive the car straight at 10 kmh straightest it goes is with wheel at 3 o clock. As soon as I let go it shoots to 10 o clock and pulls almost right off road. Same thing if I let go of steering and hit brake the front swerves right to the left. Any ideas what this could be now? Thanks there are no weird noises when steering now! Its a 98 civic coupe auto
Old 01-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Recheck everything you took apart --lower ball joint, lower control arm, whatever you touched.
Jack it up in the air and shake that wheel--- Anything feel loose?

Does the tire not point straight ahead?