Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1997 honda civic dx fan won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saaronsim is an unknown quantity at this point
1997 honda civic dx fan won't turn on

So my sister has a 97 civic dx. it over heated the first time and was told it was a blown head gasket. We replaced the head gasket, brand new water pump, new thermostat, and new radiator hoses. But after replacing all of those things, it kept overheating and we notice the fan doesn't turn on. I tapped the wire to the battery and the fan turns on. when we connect it regularly, the fan don't kick on. we let it sit there let the car warm up and revved it a few times and let it sit. after 30 min, the car started overheating again and fan won't just kick on. all the relays have been replaced as well. I need help!
Old 01-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1997 honda civic dx fan won't turn on

Check fuses? Grounds?

Turn the key on (don't start the engine)
Jump the fan switch connector (paper clip).
Does the fan run?

Got a wire diagram? Voltmeter? Test light? Know how to use them?
Old 01-13-2015
Registered!!

budd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by saaronsim
So my sister has a 97 civic dx. it over heated the first time and was told it was a blown head gasket. We replaced the head gasket, brand new water pump, new thermostat, and new radiator hoses. But after replacing all of those things, it kept overheating and we notice the fan doesn't turn on. I tapped the wire to the battery and the fan turns on. when we connect it regularly, the fan don't kick on. we let it sit there let the car warm up and revved it a few times and let it sit. after 30 min, the car started overheating again and fan won't just kick on. all the relays have been replaced as well. I need help!
it's most likley your water temp sensor that is located on top of the thermostat housing
Old 01-13-2015
Registered!!

budd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by budd
it's most likley your water temp sensor that is located on top of the thermostat housing
if all else falls, the do make an after market switch that be installed and configured to turn the fan on and off in a set range
Old 01-14-2015
Registered!!

saaronsim is an unknown quantity at this point

I have tried the paper clip it doesn't work. It only works when we tap it to the battery other than that it don't work. we replaced all sensors now and relays and fan still don't turn on while car is running. can it be the radiator? I mean, if it works while i tap it to the battery it should still be working right?
Old 01-14-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried the paper clip it doesn't work.
So the SYSTEM has a problem that needs addressed. Even if the temperature switch worked right-- the system can't turn the fan on.

Now it's time to get a voltmeter and maybe a wire diagram.

Unplug the temperature switch connector from the thermostat housing, insert the paper clip jumper wire into both terminals.
Turn the key on.
Then ground the paper clip by running a wire to it from the battery negative, or by touching some grounded metal part of the engine.
Does the fan turn on?

If no, Did you hear a relay click?

If no, then do a Voltmeter check: Remove paper clip and test each terminal in that temp switch connector. One terminal should show as a ground, the other should show 12v. Do they?

Last edited by ezone; 01-14-2015 at 07:37 AM.