Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

manual transmission help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usdmtegluv is an unknown quantity at this point
manual transmission help!!!

I have a 97 civic with a d16y8 and p20 trans. The problem is I'm either stuck in 4th or 5th. As soon as i havecompletely left of the clutch the rpms drop and the engine dies. The weird thing I can some times shift into every gear with the car off but its a bitch to get into or out of reverse and when I does the shifter will lock up. Wiggle it a little bit and it pops free. Or it will go into 3 out of 6 geats or none at all. No matter what gear I put it in and try to drive it stays in the same gear and the car dies. I've already check the fluid no shavings or smelled burnt. I cracked the case open ( didnt fully open) everything looked good. I'm a noob when it comes to transmissions. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to fix it. Thank you
Old 04-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: manual transmission help!!!

Can you push the car:

Will it roll in neutral?

With the clutch pedal pushed down, will it still roll in every gear?

Jack it up, wheels off the ground: which gears work, which don't?
Old 04-29-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Can you push the car:

Will it roll in neutral?

With the clutch pedal pushed down, will it still roll in every gear?

Jack it up, wheels off the ground: which gears work, which don't?
No the car will not move in neutral I have to depress the clutch. With the car jacked up I can go through all the gears
Old 04-29-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by usdmtegluv
No the car will not move in neutral I have to depress the clutch. With the car jacked up I can go through all the gears
Its not letting go into 1-5 but it will let go into reverse.
Old 04-29-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Wheels in the air, shifter in neutral: Start the engine and let the clutch out. What gear is it stuck in?

If it is stuck in a gear and can't let go, I bet you will be pulling that trans out.
Old 05-02-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Wheels in the air, shifter in neutral: Start the engine and let the clutch out. What gear is it stuck in?

If it is stuck in a gear and can't let go, I bet you will be pulling that trans out.
With the car in the air I couldn't tell you what gear its in. I'm starting to think something is locked up. Even with the car in the air i release the clutch the rpms drop and then the engine dies.